/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting To Heavy Lift CS8 - BUILD THREAD

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Josh Lambeth, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Jost, thanks for sharing your journey. I'll be curious to hear your findings.
    Whether the converter is or is not the cause I'm not a fan of them after reading about some issues. Although they do essentially work (your multi is able to fly) they can also introduce other issues. Others are using them, but are we able to see what goes on behind the scenes as far as the amount of post processing needed, which may be more than the usual amount we would expect because of instability issues.

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Yes I can def. say that I have to stabilize everything currently with this setup. Before I was able to only have to stabilize about 1/3rd of my footage.

Josh

3. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Not sure if you're able to change the switching frequency on those CC escs, if so try running through different settings.

4. Josh Lambeth

Ok. I have them set to outrunner mode right now. Should I try the 24mhz?

BTW anyone know how to change all 8 ESCs at once without having to do each one individually??? That would be awesome! :D

Josh

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Josh

Try the settings as listed at https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/entries/21786178-castle-creations-esc-settings. This is what I am using with my Castle 50's and the HF boards. One thing I found with the latest software was I had to do the update to 4.02 firmware, save it, load the default aircraft settings, save it and then put in the HF suggested settings and save. For some reason if I just did the firmware load and then the multirotor settings I couldn't get anything to run.

Also not sure with the Abusemark I2C adapter but for the HF boards only one of the esc's has the 5V BEC wire connected. All of the others are removed. From my understanding connecting all of them sometimes caused interference. Might be worth checking.

And lastly only one at a time. Sure is a pain in the keester isn't it. Same with trying to do a download. So I have only been downloading one ESC on a regular basis since i have the 5v pin pulled out. I did make an adapter to help with the other ones. I can attach the two pins to the ESC and the single pin goes to the pin that is pulled back and under a bit of electrical tape. But still takes a long time if you want to do all 8 motors.

Attached Files:

6. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Josh,

Your kopter might fly better with a Simonk flashed ESC; just a guess. I'll convert my setup with Abusemark I2C converter in a month and will try the setup first with SimonK flashed Red Brick ESCs. And then CC ESCs.

http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/you-esc-s.127/

Some ESCs are reported as not working well with some controllers. Maybe that's issue you are having right now.

Red Brick ESCs are $12 each, with the firmware tools it will cost you around $110 total for 8 motors. It can be worth trying this.

Marc Bracelet is using Red Brick ESCs as far as I know.

Check out the last messages: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1606382&page=20

7. Josh Lambeth

I have a quick question for everyone... what is the difference in refresh rates for the ESCs from the outrunner mode and say 24mhz? Thinking about adjusting those. I'm also going to.continue to play with the. PID/gyro settings to see if I can get it smoother... I also want to work on strengthening The camera gimbal plate and see if that helps.

Josh

8. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Josh... I am just curious but do you see the shakes/twitches that you are getting on the booms? or does it looks smooth from the ground and after seeing the footage, its there?

9. Josh Lambeth

The copter seems smooth. I am getting some bounce in my footage with Radians off but it's not bad like it used to be. It's just after turning on yer Radian system that it gets bad. I still think its mostly a flexing issue in the gimbal. I'm going to attempt to strengthen the camera plate and see if tray works.

10. Brad McGiveron

Ok well that's good news then. Did you try the 14 .4.7 apc's with the setup?
    Also the issue with single rotors and certain boom lengths might be at play here where certain harmonics are happening differently with different size booms. Kinda like tuning forks. I messed around with slightly different motor positions ( within a few cm ) on a similar system to yours...50 CC's 3515's with WKM and there was a noticeable change in overall vibrations. Some booms with foam in them and some not etc etc. As well I have run those APC's 14 4.7's on that setup and there is a noticeable difference to the Xoar

11. Josh Lambeth

Did it run better with the 14x4.7s?

12. Brad McGiveron

Yes miles smoother... but again it was the WKM so not sure how your mileage will vary. And you are on 500 booms so not sure how that affects things but I bet the APC's are going to be smoother. Or at least less resonance.

13. Josh Lambeth

Tonight I met up with a fellow member and CS8 owner, Travis, and we took the camera gimbal plate from his copter and mounted it to mine to strengthen the plate. From the very short flight we did in the dark (only a few houses to look at) it appears that the footage is better... I will know more tomorrow when I do a flight during the day.

On a side note, i FINALLY got the lights hooked up using the PCB extension board from MikroKopter. Man that thing is a pain to solder together! But now I have working lights! :D

Josh

TFCM likes this.
  14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Josh:
    So what you're finding is that flexing of the star plate is the issue? That's good to know....

EDIT: Sorry....forgot to congratulate you on your surface mount soldering. QC were kind enough to make my extension PCB up for me as I don't have the capability to do that level of soldering with my clunky soldering technique (which has marginally more finesse than my landings).

Andy.

15. Josh Lambeth

Im really hoping that's what it is. Ill know soon. Hoping to test today... but I don't think I will be able to. :(

Josh

16. Thijm

Thijm Member

Hi josh,

Is it possible to mount a Gopro to the frame and then on the remote head. could be easier to find any vibrations.
    With longer booms its also possible that they vibrate allot easier. slomo video is the best!

17. Josh Lambeth

Yes I will do this.

Josh

18. Brad McGiveron

Josh... I am sticking the converter in a CS8 frame this weekend, and weather permitting here in the northwest, I should be able to get it up and going. I got the 6mm adapters as well with the 3515's so I am going to try some APC's. As well I am using the standard booms. Basically the exact same setup you have with smaller props and booms. Did you end up changing the recoms and caps or did you use a bec for powering the FC? Any other surprises I might find?

19. Josh Lambeth

I am using RECOMS for the 5S but if I am running 6s I am using a BEC...

So go figure the weather here SUCKS today! It's cold and rainy... I will be flying a lot tomorrow... also testing with a C500 so Im anxious to see what the extra weight does to how smooth everything is.

Josh

20. Brad McGiveron

Ya you'll get decent weather before me as it's really crappy here now. I'll go fly it in the snow tomorrow or monday anyways if all else fails.

One question... do you get I2C errors when you startup the motors? I get them for a second and then it's fine.