/dist/images/branding/favicon

Help Deciphering A Crash - GPX File

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Colin Snow, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Colin

Andy's suggestions as always are very good. One thing I learned from spending 6 hours last Saturday balancing my copter from the suspended ceiling is that the balance point is "EXTREMELY" critical and sensitive. Moving the battery just 1/8 of an inch moved the CG of my CS8 by 15% with the 6200 batteries and about 20% with the 8000 batteries. The heavier the battery the worst it was. I would imagine that if the CG of a CS6 is off it would affect one specific motor more as far as current and motor temps than a CS8 because one motor on a CS6 is responsible for more overall area for the balance to maintain balance. Personally I'm starting to think a lot of people are over looking how important this is.

2. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

Scratch that. The #1 motor was not quite level. I re-aligned and next flight (data below) shows same odd number motor problem.

Hi Guys - Video here (first 5 min of flight) and GPX file attached.

I cant make heads or tails of this data. I am not sure what to look for. I appreciate your time.

Colin

Data from this flight:

Flight time: 2:34:28 PM - 2:43:19 PM (531 secs, 00:08:51)
    Total: 529 secs, 00:08:49
    Elevation(GPS) : 0 5.36 16.609 m
    Altitude(Barom.): -1.75 7.78 20.3 m
    Vertical speed : -1.68 -0.03 2.04 m/s
    Max speed : 8.4 km/h
    Max target dist.: 8.7 m

Sats: 9 9 11 (min/avg/max)

Voltage: min. 14.4, max. 16.6 V
    Current: 15.2 21 42.2 A
    Wattage: 231 338 624.56 W
    Capacity: 3235 mAh

Motor1: 2.6 4.2 8.1 A Temp: 27 49 64 °C
    Motor2: 0.9 1.5 2.6 A Temp: 26 43 53 °C
    Motor3: 1.1 4.6 10.4 A Temp: 27 52 59 °C
    Motor4: 0.9 3.3 5.2 A Temp: 30 55 63 °C
    Motor5: 0.9 4.3 12.7 A Temp: 30 58 68 °C
    Motor6: 0.0 2.3 4.0 A Temp: 26 44 52 °C

Magnet Field: 98 101 105 % (ok)
    Magnet Inclination: 55 57 66 deg

No errors found ;)

Attached Files:

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Colin

The video is good but it is the wrong screen. (this screen shows the controls). After you start MKTools click the ->FlightCtrl button and then the 3D button. You will see the copter window and a 'Balance' window like this

Screen Shot 2013-03-15 at 5.44.29 PM.png

You will be able to see the dot in the balance window move around. Should stay pretty close to center and Green in color. Smooth directional flight or hovering it should be there. If you do something agressive it will move but generally comes back to center if, like a very fast forward flight, you maintain the flight vector.

If the pip shows bottom left you need to shift weight to the front right and so on. Looking forward to another video.

4. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

Thanks Gary. Will do this on Monday but to be clear about the remedy there is no weight to shift around. See photo.

What else could it be?

Colin

image.jpg

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Colin: When you say there is "no weight shift around" that's not entirely true. The MK Board's are constantly having to balance the copter. The balance screen shows you what inputs they are having to put into the flight control system to keep the aircraft stable -- and it's that that you need to see.

As Gary says, you want to be able to see where the copter calculates the CofG to be, and what inputs it is having to put into the stabilize the aircraft in Yaw.

You can read more about this here: http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/MikroKopterTool -- scroll down to the rather strangely worded "Button FlightCtrl" section.

You can read about MK_GPXTOOL here: http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/MKGPXTool
    Look for the section Help/Initial Start and it walks you through how to load the GPX file into MK_GPXTOOL, how to add video to the OSD tool, and how to synchronize it.

You will, of course, need to do another flight to get a fresh GPX file appropriate for the new video of the Balance/Yaw window.

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

6. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

Ok. Here's that video and the data file attached.

I was able to sync the video and GPX playback. At rest (AH and AH + PH) it never is quite in the middle. And it seems to be working hard to find balance in a yaw maneuver (most were in AH + PH), but I have nothing to compare it to. Suggestions for next steps?

Attached Files:

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Colin I am stumped. The flight log and video look like everything is well balanced. Your range of motor currents looks normal except for number 2. Maybe Andy will have some input.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Colin:
    Apologies in advance but I probably won't have time to look at this until Wednesday afternoon/evening. I have to get ready for a trip to Salem, OR, to testify before the Committee on Judiciary regarding the SB 71 Bill concerning "drones."

See parcap.org for more information.

Thanks
    Andy.

Colin Snow likes this.
  9. Dave King

Gary what would happen if in this case the flight control board wasn't level when the gyro's were calibrated? Would the flight control board think that its trying to correct itself for an unlevel condition when its really level? Could that be a problem here or would you instantly know it when you took off and it would make a nick/roll adjustment on take off that it really shouldn't?

10. Dave King

HI Colin

Were you in AH or PH in this video? Just curious also how high you were?

11. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

Hi Dave - Yes. In that video the first two yaw maneauvers were in AH + PH. The third was in FreeFly. Why do you ask?

Colin

12. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

13. Dave King

Next time out I plan on checking my CG with AH and PH on and see how it responds and I was going to use your results as a reference.

14. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

That would be helpful if you posted since I have no baseline for comparison.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Colin:
    Just out of curiosity, I noticed that the copter icon in the video starts out being "Boom #2" down -- it's obviously a quad and not a hex, but, was your C6 on level ground. I just wondered why it wasn't showing level.

I need to have a look at the video and the GPX files later on today. Sorry for the delay.

Andy.

16. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

Hi Andy

Welcome back. Hope you had a successful day yesterday. Thanks for standing up for us!

No, I did not start off on level ground.

Colin

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That would explain it.

I'm running out of ideas, so please excuse the basic question: You did have the FC completely level when you calibrated the ACC?

The next thing I would suggest is to see if you can swap out the FC board -- it could be that it's defective, but there is no way of knowing that without swapping it out.

Andy.

18. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

Yes. I calibrated ACC on a completely level surface.

Just curious why you suspect the FC board - a $460 poposition to swap? And why the FC board first - as apposed to the Navi Board or BLs first?

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Colin:
    I figured you would have calibrated the ACC, but just wracking my brain (or what's left of it) to think what could cause this.

The FC board tells the Cinestar how to fly. The Navi Board tells it where to fly to (and where it is currently located).
    You can fly the Cinestar just fine without the GPS and Navi Board -- but you won't get off the ground without the FC.

I still would recommend you talk to your dealer (QC) about this, though as I smacks of a sensor problem -- just a hunch.

Andy.

20. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

And easy to test. Disconnect the NAVI/GPS and just fly with the FC to see if you get the same behavior.