/dist/images/branding/favicon

Help Deciphering A Crash - GPX File

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Colin Snow, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

I had a bad crash on Friday (snapped a boom / mangled the gimbal) and just now trying to decipher the log, but need help.

The short story is I was in AH and free flight over a field and about 150m out it lost altitude - rapidly. From all I can tell from this file the power dropped - fast, but I dont know why. Battery pack going bad? Navi board battery bad? It's odd did not get a low battery telemetry warning buzzer on my TX which is set at 14.4v. The good news is the camera survived and repair parts are on the way.

Perhaps Andy (or one of you) can you tell me what you think happened from this GPX file (attached). I could not upload the KML file.

Colin

Attached Files:

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I'll have a look at it now Colin. Sorry to hear about the damage. Can you double check on the FC board that:
    1. The air pressure sensor legs are all intact.
    2. There is some hot glue below the air pressure sensor and the FC board to stop it vibrating.

I'll post again in a few minutes after I've examined the GPX file.

Andy

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I used MK_GPXTOOL to examine the GPX file.

The only apparent error (apart from a Low Battery warning at the end of the flight, was that the compass calibration was off.

Also motor #3 is pulling way more current than it should be. Could be the prop was loose, or the motor's bad, or it's having to work overtime to counteract one of the other motors not being vertical -- I realize you cannot check that latter possibility now.

The conclusion: it looks like the battery voltage decayed away and the copter could no longer maintain AH. Bear in mind:
    1. The GPX log only samples once a second....so you can't see what's going on in between.
    2. The last few lines of the GPX file show that it was improperly terminated -- the NC board had just started to write out a new "trackpoint" (the data point that it writes once a second) and then the GPX file terminates -- so there is missing data at the end -- and that might show why the copter descended those last 8 meters so quickly.

Here's the summary from MK_GPXTOOL (with some interesting data in red):

MK Version: FC HW:2.1 SW:0.88e + NC HW:2.0 SW:0.28h​

Flight time: 10:50:54 AM - 10:51:55 AM (61 secs, 00:01:01)​
    Total: 62 secs, 00:01:02​
    Elevation(GPS) : 0.775 10.74 13.857 m​
    Altitude(Barom.): -0.05 10.28 12.35 m​
    Vertical speed : -0.77 0.17 1.79 m/s​
    Max speed : 56.5 km/h​
    Max target dist.: 2.3 m​

Sats: 10 9 10 (min/avg/max)​

Voltage: min. 13.5, max. 15.8 V
    Current: 25 44 72.7 A​
    Wattage: 395 661 1009.58 W​
    Capacity: 800 mAh​

Motor1: 1.2 9.1 14.4 A Temp: 22 42 52 °C​
    Motor2: 0.5 2.8 4.8 A Temp: 22 38 47 °C​
    Motor3: 1.6 10.8 19.1 A Temp: 22 45 57 °C (these are min, average, max)
    Motor4: 1.5 5.3 9.5 A Temp: 16 34 43 °C​
    Motor5: 1.7 8.4 10.7 A Temp: 18 39 50 °C​
    Motor6: 1.9 4.2 6.0 A Temp: 21 34 42 °C​

Magnet Field: 104 116 125 % <- check!
    Magnet Inclination: 56 57 62 deg​

Errors / warnings:​
    Compass is disturbed by magnetic fields!
    Corrupt GPX file end detected! (Loaded 59 tracks)
    FC-Flag "LowBat" (5) occured 2 times!

I can see that you enabled Altitude Hold 12 seconds into the flight and it remained on until the last trackpoint was recorded 60 seconds into the flight. The altitude was holding around 10.9 - 11.1 meters until 58 seconds, then it drops to 10.552, 10.345, and 9.835.

You had a continuous GPS lock on 10 satellites (which is good).
    You took off with GPS Hold on and disabled GPS Hold at second 30.

The last few seconds of voltage/current are telling:
    Second Voltage Current
    54 14.5 48.4
    55 14.4 49.4
    56 14.5 47.8
    57 14.4 52.4
    58 13.9 63.5
    59 14.3 70.6
    60 13.5 72.7

As you can see the voltage is decaying, and the current has jumped to 72.7 amps. This implies that the MK boards were perhaps struggling to maintain altitude pull trying to put more power to the motors, and pulling more current, which causes the voltage to sag....

At second 54 (which is the last "normal" looking reading), the motors were pulling 8.2, 3.3, 14.0, 5.8, 9.4, 3.3 Amps.
    At second 60 (just before impact), the motors were pulling 14.4, 4.8, 19.1, 9.5, 10.0, 3.9.
    Note how the odd numbered motors are really working much harder than the even numbered ones. I'm not sure why.

There are no I2C bus errors so that's not the problem.

Also, looking at the RC Sticks (that is to say, the position of the RC sticks) it appears that you had the throttle stick in its center position for almost the entire flight. Do you have the throttle stick self-centering? Just curious, as it starts out just slightly below the center position and after about 4 seconds goes to the center position and stays there for the rest of the flight.

There is nothing to suggest that the AH failed -- it was getting value altimeter readings that correlated to within a meter of the Elevation (which is what the GPS thinks you were at). So I infer you were flying pretty close to sea level.

I don't see anything else anomalous in the GPX file. No wacko readings of nick, roll angles, no major yawing and no control inputs from you that would cause the crash (nor from the MK boards either).

So, as I say, it looks like you ran out of gas....

Hope this helps
    Andy.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

By the way, I agree with you -- it's odd that you didn't get a low battery warning.
    Can you check that you do get a low battery warning either with a bench power supply or using a LiPo that has a low voltage?

Andy.

5. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

This could be the multi was fighting against yaw pull. Looking at Andy's forensic work, it looks like it could have been fighting against yaw the entire flight. A prop or two out of level possibly.

Colin, off topic, are your MK electronics covered? If not I would suggest some sort of cover. In fact I would suggest everyone cover their MK electronics. I could not imagine flying with my PCBs so exposed like some of the builds I see:eek: A single drop of moisture and down she comes...even on a bright sunny day there could be random droplets of moisture in the air...ask me how I know! Not saying this was the cause of your crash but I bet some unexplained midair shutdowns could be attributed to exposed electronics and the evil they sometimes attract.

6. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I agree with Howard on the odd amp draws. This is because at least one prop/motor is not level so it's pulling to one side. Depending on how off it is you would notice that the copter, A) flies a little different. Slightly harder to control and will want to yaw to one side quicker then the other, and B) sounds different.

I had this happen on mine and it ended up being one motor that was about 1 1/2* out of vertical.

Josh

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

This is where the Xbee wifi setup allows you to monitor the yawing component of the copter in flight using the Balance window of MK Tool, so you can see whether there is a yawing component. I'm surprised that, following William Johnston's technique (formerly known as wgj000 on the forum), wherein his code analyzes the yawing moment in a GPX file, that there's not something calculating a realtime "odd motor currents versus even motor currents," so we could see this information on an OSD, for example.

That kind of ratio seems as interesting as the total current draw as it "telegraphs" a problem....

Andy.

8. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

Andy - Thanks for your thorough analysis!!! It's very helpful. I owe you a pint or two.

To answer some of your comments and questions:
    1. This was the third flight that day. Prior to that, I had just completed tightening all bolts and did a motor vibration check. Motor #2 was vibrating slightly and was slated for replacement.
    2. A few weeks before all props and hubs were balanced.
    3. I will check the air pressure sensor for vibration and do bench test for low power supply.

Howard and Josh - Thanks for your insights as well. I can see from the video this was happening. It looks like the copter was trying to yaw right throughout most of the flight. I didn't notice a motor misalignment after the first two flights nor on prior flights. I do check for this regulary. I don't have the electronics covered. I haven't ever flown in moisture on any kind -yet. It was a very dry day.

Now that I know what to look for I've analyzed prior flights for these signatures. Here's what I can see:
    1. The "Compass is disturbed by magnetic fields!" has been there for a while. What should I look for or do to correct this?
    2. That day in each flight the odd motors were pulling more current. It happened on the flight day prior to this one (1/8/2013).

Motor1: 0.9 7.6 11.5 A Temp: 13 46 55 °C
    Motor2: 0.2 3.1 4.8 A Temp: 11 43 56 °C
    Motor3: 0.6 8.6 12.4 A Temp: 16 54 66 °C
    Motor4: 0.6 6.7 9.9 A Temp: 15 53 63 °C
    Motor5: 2.4 8.4 15.4 A Temp: 18 57 67 °C
    Motor6: 0.8 5.8 9.0 A Temp: 17 45 55 °C

3. Before that it's inconsistent. Sometimes I see the above and sometimes I see this:

Motor1: 0.7 7.4 12.2 A Temp: 19 45 60 °C
    Motor2: 0.8 3.1 4.8 A Temp: 19 44 56 °C
    Motor3: 1.4 9.3 17.0 A Temp: 20 57 69 °C
    Motor4: 1.2 6.4 13.0 A Temp: 19 55 72 °C
    Motor5: 0.4 8.0 17.5 A Temp: 22 54 67 °C
    Motor6: 0.3 5.2 10.8 A Temp: 20 42 53 °C

What do you think?

Colin

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Colin:
    1. Guinness please.

2. My unthorough analysis (which I didn't post) was: Hey, dude, motor #3 is naffed, and you crashed! :)

3. Compass errors: Check that you don't have heavy current carrying wires near the Navigation Control board. That's where the compass is located. Double check the orientation of the board too -- I suspect it's going to be correct as Really Bad Things happen when it's not. The most likely causes are either electromagnetically generated fields or a failed compass unit. You might also consider loosely braiding the wires inside boom #1 and see if that makes a difference. Don't braid them tightly as that shortens the wires a lot! Check which way your flight batteries are mounted -- do the battery leads come near the NC board -- if you rotated the battery 180 degrees would that move the leads further away from the NC board?

4. Motors #1, 3 and 5 always seem to be working signficantly harder don't they? Hard to know what's causing that. Can you verify that all the props are sufficiently tight that you can just barely move them if you hold the motor casing and pull on a blade -- you don't want them so tight they crack the prop, but they shouldn't slip that easily either. Another one of those "Goldilocks" settings (not too tight, not too loose).

I would run MK Tool motor test on each motor individually and listen to the sound the individual motors make. High pitched smooth whining is what you want, not high pitched coffee-grinderish noises. How's that for a technical explanation? If there's a raspy component, then you might be looking at new bearings. (Search the forum for Boca Bearings to find the relevant thread).

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

10. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Send us a picture of the center of your copter. Take it from left, right, back, front and from overhead. Usually as Andy says there is something close to the Navi that is emitting EFI. It can be the things he mentioned, positioning of an Xbee, position of a GoPro. That's why photos would help. And take them with the copter rigged as it was where you got the errors.

11. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

Andy - I'll start with replacing motor #3. All blades were just tightened down after I took them off for the vibration test. This is a QC RTF but I'll ck the braid for #1 motor leads and power line proximities.

Gary - Will send pic, once I unmangle it and can stand it up :) . Even so, the only thing I have "near" the NaviCtrl is the MKGPS and Smart-OSD (all stacked) and the Smart-OSD supplied video in/out lead that attaches to the OSD.

12. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Andy

I am by far no expert but I can tell you that Ziggy the MK guru that runs the MK us website has told me that if there is a significant difference in motor current or temps from the odd motors to the even motors its the result of a "compass problem". I think he was referring to compass calibration issue because that was the subject of the conversation I had with him about how much variance is there in the compass calibration process. From the looks of it you see a compass error in the GPX log to.

13. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

Hmmm. I checked all the logs.

1. The Compass is disturbed by magnetic fields! warning goes all the way back in history to the very first log day - which was the day I picked it up from QC on 5/8/2012. But - as instructed - I re-calibrated the compass when I got home. There was no warnings after that point until six flights later. Then, it always appears.
    2. The odd motor amp pull problem goes back as far as the "six flights later" point and appears intermittent. But it was not as severe as recent records. Also, motor 2 has always had the lowest pull.

Thoughts?

Colin

14. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Do you calibrate for each location? It is a good idea that you do. There should be no errors and I would be very careful flying until you can figure it out.

15. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Colin do you have an Xbee installed? Carrying a GoPro? After a compass calibration you can take the copter inside and while watching MKTools or one of the MK data screens on the MX-20 you can sometimes see the compass information change as you power up/down various other devices on your copter. I had a problem with my Xbee at one point. Moved it over one boom space and compass issues went away.

Here's a couple of notes about the compass from MK

General Points

Caution: For use of the MK3Mag it is essential that the distance between compass and Buzzer minimum 10cm. It is best to mount the buzzer on the outer end of one of the frame arms.
    The highest Interfering Magnetic field is generated by: Buzzer, Motors, Power Cables and Metal Parts (In approx. this order).
    If problems with the MK3Mag are only noticeable at higher throttle, it is likely that the interfering magnetic field is generated by power lines. Ideally the individual DC-lines should have very few bends and Plus/Minus should be routed parallel as their magnetic fields are then compensated by each other (Tips and Video).

Operating Note: The Navi board trusts the compass data to be 100% accurate. Bad compass data will be reflected in a toilet bowling effect or worse case a flyaway.
    The best thing to do is to turn off all navi functions and learn how to fly manually and regain orientation based on stick and craft movements. This is where simulator training comes in helpful.

16. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

Hi Gary. I have no Xbee and not carrying a GoPro. My setup is my signature.

Thanks for the general points and link to Tips and Video. The buzzer sits between boom 1 and 2 and appears to be about 10cm away from the center of the "stack" that has the NaviCtrl board. See this post for top down picture showing the location of the stack on boom 1.

Colin

17. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Colin thats about as clean as you can get. I don't remember, but I know Andy will, as to where the compass is located on the board. The only thing you might consider is moving the receiver to the back boom. It sounds like you have had the compass reading since the beginning but do you get them if you don't have a camera on the copter?

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Colin: Just a thought, but you might try twisting your Lipo leads or zip-tieing them together. In the image you link to above, they're separated and *might* be causing EMI with the compass. Not clear whether they would be, but it's a case of eliminating likely culprits.

Also, in that vein, is there any chance that you're compass calibration procedure is not as Casey shows in the QC video? (Albeit away from cars and metal railings! :) ). Not trying to be accusatorial, just trying to eliminate possibilities! :)

Andy.

19. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

Here's some pics.

@Andy - You can see the Lipo leads are zipped at least at the frame. I can certainly do more.

One thing I did notice is the boom 1 red motor lead that connect to the power dist board can "flop" close to the stack and I will definitely fix that.

See anything else?

Yes. I did compass calibration exactly as in the Casey video in an open area. As I mentioned, after that calibration I had six flights with no compass warning.

@Gary The flights with no warning were all with a camera on the gimbal. All flights after that when there was a warning had camera on gimbal as well. But note the first flight at QC shop was without a camera and it did have a warning. So, I'm not thinking a camera is the source of interference.

Colin

DSC01691_web.jpg DSC01695_web.jpg DSC01697_web.jpg DSC01698_web.jpg

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Colin:
    One other thing. That TM1000 is a transmitter and it's right under the GPS/Navi boards. Could you try relocating it? Just wondering whether the transmissions might be strong enough to cause problems -- again, this is baseless speculation, all we can do is try changing things until the symptoms change...

Andy.