/dist/images/branding/favicon

FF Motor Control Set (FF ESCs)

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Chris Shaw, May 11, 2013.

1. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

can you post a link please? :) thanks for info Gary

2. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Howard, what kind of average currents are you seeing to mandate a 8AWG wire? We were running the 10AWG at 200amps in testing monitoring with a thermal camera and only the connector was getting hot as I recall.

Tabb

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

5. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Yes that is the store.

6. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Also we can we buy the spare ESC? for this to just in case. ;)

7. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Hi Tabb, i'm averaging 130-160A depending on load and yes the 10AWG power wire would get slightly hot, could have been heat transfer from the EC5 who knows but I do know that since switching to 8AWG, the power wires are only barely warm after a long heavy flight.

8. Howard Dapp

One last converter question for Gary. When using the "w" command to write new settings to the eeprom, is there a confirmation message after? All I'm getting is a message that reads "writing config" and it appears stuck but when I use the "i" command to read current settings it appears the new settings are saved...

config.jpg

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Howard its been awhile but I don't think you get anything like 'ok'. just goes back to the underline prompt. I did the same thing doing an 'i' to see if it stuck. And before changing the timing try the motor test part to see where you get on the throttle before changing it. I have motors that were at the mid 30 min gas setting until I changed the timing. Now at 16.

10. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Jason,

Yes, each component of this Freefly motor controller kit will be available a la carte for individual purchase.

Greetings,
    Adam

11. Howard Dapp

Out of curiosity, are these controllers using HK re-branded hardware? Am I correct in saying that they're running SimonK FW? Or are they totally new built from the ground up? If they work, what does it really matter right? Other than the huge price jump.

12. Howard Dapp

12c > PWM/Freefly ESC update. Got it all installed, setup and tested with a fully loaded rig...flight was fine with no quirkiness or strange behavior. One thing has me stumped, it seems that i'm pulling about 5-8 more amps lifting the same payload as my prior setup. I'm using the same motors, only thing that has changed are the ESCs. Why would I be pulling more amps?

13. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

My opinion and I think Josh would concur that there is some loss of efficiency with the I2C. How did you measure the increase in amps?

14. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I was just going to say the same thing. I'm 99% sure the i2c causes an efficiency loss.

15. Howard Dapp

Interesting. Not liking that conclusion at all. My motors are running hotter too. I'm flying an X8 with 64/71 mixer. I tested 2 sets of motors (upper/lower) using an inline watt meter. How can the converter cause more amp draw?

16. Josh Lambeth

Are you running different props on the bottom? I'm thinking of switching to that setup.

17. Howard Dapp

Same props top/bottom. When will Synapse launch? Price info?

18. Josh Lambeth

Still no word on a release date. Only information available is whats posted on QC's website. Unfortunately we think that because of the response that MoVI has gotten, Synapse will take longer to release. I did hear a rumor that it will probably be around the $2,000 mark in price!

Josh

19. Howard Dapp

I like FF products BUT I have to say the price for some items are undeniably overpriced. These motor controllers are inexpensive blue series HKs running a free FW...how I know is because no one responded to my previous question, so I guess it confirms it. C'mon guys take it down a notch with the prices...give the small guys a chance. Synapse may be worth every penny, who knows but if in fact it is at the price point the idea of running it with $25 rebranded HK controllers has me a little uneasy.

20. Josh Lambeth

You should cut one open and take some pictures of the board. I would but I don't have a set.

Josh