/dist/images/branding/favicon

Unwanted micro movement in 50mm M5 footage

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Martin Hermansen, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Martin Hermansen

Martin Hermansen New Member

Hi everyone!

I am new to the M5, and I am corrently experimenting with a 50mm (aps-c) lens on a Canon DSLR. It's pretty light weight and the balance is as close as I can get it. I am using autotune with a procentage of 70, an a pan, tilt and roll strenght of 100. I am using smooth lock on tilt and a high window on pan however, I am still seeing some micro movement in the footage.

Here is a link to a video showing the footage at 100% and at a 300% crop:

I hope you can help me to resolve this issue.

Best regards, Martin.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Martin: Could you try increasing the mass-in-motion on the M5? Tape something to the top of the camera and re-balance it.

It might be that there's just not enough mass in what you have on the gimbal for the stabilization to operate effectively.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Martin Hermansen

Hi Andy!

I have actually tried a bigger lens, the sigma 24-105 f4, which is very heavy compared to the one i currently use, but unfortunately that didn't help.

The people at the Freefly Movi user group on Facebook say that it is a translational issue. But to me, it just doesnt look like a purely translational issue...

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The next thing to check is that everything attached to the MoVI is tight -- if there is any loose mass anywhere on the MoVI it can cause problems.

If you don't find anything then it's probably time to open up a support ticket by emailing to support@freeflysystems.com -- include a link to this thread too.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

When you tune the M5 how are you supporting the rig?

6. Martin Hermansen

I am autotuning the Movi in the stand, but I have tried hand holding it too.

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Does the lens have stabilization or auto focus in it? Are they turned on? Try turning them off.

8. Martin Hermansen

I am in manual focus, and the stabilization is turned off.