/dist/images/branding/favicon

Transmitter reccomendations

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Tim Joy, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

I need a new transmitter for X-mas. Oh yay!
    I'm using it with a CS8 and hoverfly board that needs 7 separate PWM inputs.
    Any recommendations? I'm looking at the mx-20 and the 8FG (super?)
    It would be great to have extra channels too.
    Also, something with a PPM output through the trainer port would be great, so I can use the UHF system.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I have both MX-20 and 8FG Super.
    One of the advantages of the MX-20 is the telemetry that comes with the package. You can have it speak the battery input voltage of the C8's flight battery every few seconds so you don't need to look down.
    On balance, for your application, I'd go with the MX-20.

EDIT: You might want to download the manuals for both units and get some idea of the additional flexibility that the MX-20 provides in terms of mapping switches/sticks/rotary control to channels and the details of the telemetry.

Andy.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Tim, I have the MX-20 since I am switching from the MK stack to HF. Unfortunately the HoverFly boards today do not have telemetry like the MikroKopter boards. There appears to be a very close synergy between MK and Graupner. I remember seeing something on another forum that MK did approach some of the other tx/rx folks about working with them but got a limited response. Each of the others have interfacing modules and I am looking at the ones that Graupner offers but the tight integration you would see with the MK stack just isn't there yet with HF. HF also usually is shipping their RTF machines with Spektrum setups and seems to favor that brand.

So if you plan to stay with Hoverfly you might want to consider the Spektrum/Futaba units. If you think you may want to use an MK stack then I would look at the MX-20. If you get an MX-20 make sure you get the GR-24 12 port receiver so that you have enough ports. While the HFPro plus GPS needs 7 ports by the time you add camera tilt, any type of camera switching you get close to 12 channels real quick. I am at 10 and holding my breath that I don't want something more like a retractable FPV antenna or folding legs.

I don't have experience with the Futaba's but the 8FG looks like a good alternative to the MX20.

Last comment would be on any warranty or broken parts. All Graupner service is in Germany and I have heard of challenges to get bad radio fixed. Spektrum and Futaba are in Champaign, IL.

4. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Thanks for the advice, guys. Gary, you make some great points. I've always used futaba, and it's close half the cost of the mx-20, so I think I will go with the 8fg to speed the transition. Telemetry would be great but I do get most of that on the OSD already.

5. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

Just to add more confusion to the topic . Im extra happy with Jr use a xg 11 for flying 2.4 and a new jrx11 zero modular with ppm for gimbal or uhf ez