/dist/images/branding/favicon

tilt bounce

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by George Mosko, May 31, 2013.

1. George Mosko

George Mosko New Member

I dont want to get down on freefly here, but i have tried everything. freefly equipment is amazing looking, beautifully made, and gets plenty of compliments when i go to a job, but the footage i get is always full of tilt bounce. i have replaced every single clamp with aluminum clamps at great expense to me, beefed up the top tube connector, changed o-rings, and tightened everything to its limit. while this cured the other flex problems for me, the tilt bounce is still an issue. the tilt bounce has forced me to pass on jobs that would make me good money. I have purchased 5 new ff 360 servos, and have tried two already to remove the servo slop. nothing has helped. for the money i have invested i feel like i should have better results. the radians are awesome, and the cs8 itself is perfect. but the tilt section on the gimbal leaves a bit to be desired. in some cases i feel like the weight reductions were done in the wrong places. also i might mention to the guys at freefly, you should at least offer a reasonably priced upgrade to the original 3 axis tilt section. you are only shooting yourselves in the foot like that, cause if you dont somebody else will, and you lose money. after all you can only charge so much for a boom clamp, which was the only hard to find part for your kits. that being said, the simplicity of the freefly design, being its best selling point, will also be the biggest thorn in its side. as seen here

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/237082077.html

I am looking forward to the synapse controller, and i just purchased the ff esc/power distro combo and it works beautifully. but i feel ff should at least throw us a bone with the tilt.

2. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

George,

Can you post a video of what your getting with Radians operating? We need more details if you would like help. Most issues we see are with the roll axis. Im fairly confident that not many have issues with tilt when compared to roll. Lets see some footage and go from there. We'd love to help you out...

Brad

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

George can you perhaps post a video showing an example of 'tilt bounce'? Also schare a screen shot of your Radian tilt configuration? That would help with providing some guidance. Also what are you flying for a camera? Maybe photos of your gimbal setup?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, the more information the better please, George. I'm not seeing the tilt bounce you speak of. Can you also verify that the set screw in the large pulley for tilt is tight please?

Sorry if we ask you do to things or check things you've already done or checked, but something is not obviously wrong and you should not be having this problem.

Andy.

5. Adriel Pfister

Adriel Pfister New Member

this is interesting, because we seem to have the exact same problem.

two or three weeks ago we started to have decent results with a Canon 6D & 16-35mm lens. it wasn't always perfectly stable but when I threw the warp stabilizer on it was very smooth. ( or )

we then bought a lot of upgrades, because we wanna fly an epic. so we bought longer side booms, metal clamps, adjustable camera rail, dual adjustable tilt bar, dual bearing tilt mount. this week we got a red epic for testing for a 2 days. sadly the weather was terrible all week so we could only do a one test flight.
    I spent a lot of time to get it balanced on all axis, and I did get there eventually. when I hung up the gimbal I was surprised to see that the the radians seemed to work great with the same settings I used for the 6D.

we flew with the radians off to tune the anti vibration damping with the red. (we're using the echo mount from allied drones)
    we did some drastic changes in the damping and the results varied but it soon became clear that we're having a lot of tilt jitter. it was even visible by eye when you look at the camera while hovering. it's also very clearly visible when you just tap the camera. my friends dad is a retired design engineer and he thinks its the tilt axis that flexes under the heavy camera. He was talking about the tilt rail itself...
    I don't know...

I'm sorry I don't have a video of it and we had to give the camera back to the rental and it's raining like crazy.... :(
    sorry...

but I'm very interested on what you guys think on the matter.

adriel

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

If you hold the camera mounted on the camera plate in one hand -- or just the camera plate by itself -- and the large tilt pulley in your other hand, is there any play? Any slight movement when you twist one or the other? Just want to eliminate the most obvious source of tilt vibration?

Also, I've seen the small pulley on the servo starting to come loose, so make sure that is tight too.

Andy.