/dist/images/branding/favicon

Throttle calibration Help

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Jose Luis Ocejo, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hmmm. This sounds like something that Holger should be aware of -- or did you already post on mikrokopter.de, Steve?

Andy.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

3. Steve Maller

Actually it looks like what we're seeing is not an isolated thing.

4. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Hi to all my problem still persists in manual mode the throttle range is low in Altitude hold the throttle range is normal
    i read some ware that messing with the mixer numbers may fix any ideas

5. Jose Luis Ocejo

Hello to all let me recap the problem Im having in hopes someone can come up with a solution, and the steps I have taken to correct it
    again here are my
    Components:
    Flat 8
    14x8 Graupner props
    2x 6600mA 5S lipos
    MK FC 2.1
    Mk Navi
    MK GPS
    Maytech 65A Opto ESC using a Abusemark I2c board
    Tiger U5
    Take off weight 14.6 Lbs 6.60 kg

Symptom
    On the bench with out props in manual mode the throttle does not reach 230 the max speed I have in MK tools settings it reaches like 200 I can see this by looking at the readout in MK tools for motors 1-4
    when I do a motor test in MK Tools with the slider I can reach 255
    This symptoms reflect a similar pattern when I take off, my throttle stick has to be almost all the way up but when I turn AH the full power is release so I have to lower the stick to 50% to hover

This is what I have done:
    1 re calibrate ESC throttle range= no fix ( this calibration is done with out the FC and the I2c board in the mix is just done connecting the the 8 ESC signal servo wires to the transmitter and setting with the throttle stick up for the hi throttle and then the low throttle I try with spectrum and with Graupner (no fix)
    2 I have upgraded the FC and the Navi to firmware 2.04 (no fix)
    3 I have play with the mid point setting of 127 or 0 ( no Fix)

Posible solutions:
    MIXER
    1 increase the Mixer values from 64 to 70 I experimented with motor #1 throttle column in MK Tools Mixer on the bench and it did increase the motor 1 speed number from 200 max reach to 230 max reach, so do I increase all of the Mixer values to 70? what I don't know is what is going to happen when in flight I turn AH on

CALIBRATION INCLUDING THE I2C
    2 Since I am using the Abusemark I2C in-between the MK and the 8 ESC should somehow do the throttle calibration again including the I2C board or even include the FC ?

ESC FIRMWARE
    3 Mess around with the Maytech ESC firmware or refresh rate I think is 450 (never don that)

Question
    Has any one use the freely motor control set with Tiger U5 motors or with other ESC in combination with MK FC and MK electronics

in short
    Manual mode the throttle range is held back
    Altitude hold the full range of throttle is release

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Jose:

Do you have any kind of "throttle curve" or "dual rate" or "expo" set on the Transmitter that might prevent it from transmitting a full throttle signal?

Can you also look on the Transmitter's display, using something that is probably called Servo Monitor, and verify that you are seeing "full deflection" on the throttle channel?

If you've got a Graupner Transmitter (you don't say what Tx/Rx you're using), have you recalibrated the sticks?

Does your transmitter have any kind of throttle trim?

Let me know what Manufacturer and Model of Transmitter you're using, please?

Andy.

7. Jose Luis Ocejo

Hi Andy the 2 transmitter and Receiver that I have try are:
    Spektrum DX8 with the satellite ( when I calibrated the ESC throttle i had to ad a Spektrum AR8000 receiver so I could connect the ESC servo wires)
    Graupner MX-20 with the GR-24 receiver

on the DX8 on the servo setup the throttle is at 100% and 100%
    on the monitor -98% +97%
    there is nothing on expo or dual rate
    im going to try tomorrow a new ESC calibration using a new fresh channel just to see
    the only thing that made an apparent difference was changing the values in the mixer but I don't know what would happen in AH
    the other ting that I was thinking of doing while I calibrate the ESC is to connect all of the ESC to the Abusemark I2C then connect to the port where the I2C goes from the FC instead connect the spectrum receiver and calibrate so to get the I2c in the mix I don't know if this works or makes sence
    thanks

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmm. Puzzling.
    Is this a new problem that has suddenly developed, Jose?
    Did you make any changes to anything before it showed up?
    Sorry to appear to be grasping at straws, but I am! :)

It's possible it's the Abusemark, but I'll have to defer to other forum members who've used it.

Andy.

9. Jose Luis Ocejo

Andy this copter is a Skyjib8 I had Plettenberg motors Orbit 15-20 that I sold and replace them with Tiger U5 could it be the U5 ?
    what do you think about increasing the mixer numbers

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Jose: I've never changed mixer numbers -- I suspect someone like Steve Maller would have better advice for you regarding the mixer.

Andy.

11. Steve Maller

There was a bug in 2.02 I think that caused the “auto” setting for AH to ignore out-of-bounds numbers. Holger fixed that, but the 2.04 firmware that’s out there right now may have a Navi bug in it. There’s now a 2.05a version, but I’d hold off on any conclusions for a day or so until the firmware release dance sorts itself out.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

A "release dance?" Nice. Hadn't thought of that...I was thinking more "Once more unto the release, dear friends, once more;
    Or close the wall up with our Mikrokopter dead boards!" (William Shakespeare, Henry V. No....sorry, Henry Va, no ...Henry Vm.. ;)

Andy

13. Steve Maller

I am considering delving into the “Les Mis” script for a quote, but maybe we should stop this before it gets out of hand. :rolleyes: