/dist/images/branding/favicon

The camera orientation is off and the shots I get are shaking.

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Ariel Glikson, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Ariel Glikson

Ariel Glikson New Member

I need urgent help!
    The camera orientation is off and the shots I get are shaking.
    I am sure I balanced the camera good (Canon 5D) when the MoVI is turned off, the camera balanced perfect and stay in every position I try.
    When I first turn on the MoVI the orientation looks OK,
    But after I hold the MoVI and walk with it little bit, When I put the MoVI on its stand the camera orientation is off.
    (It doesn't point the same direction the MoVI points, little bit off) see the picture attached
    I tried to get the motors stiffness higher, but it doesn't help (30-20-10 stiffness)
    Any ideas what can be the problem...???
    Thanks
    Ariel

Attached Files:

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ariel which axis (orientation) is off? Hard to tell from your photo but it looks fine to me. Remember that in Majestic mode there is an area that the setup does not pan the camera. So being off as you set it in the stand is fine.

3. Ariel Glikson

Ariel Glikson New Member

Hello Gary, thanks for answering.
    The Pan axis is off, the problem is when I turned on the Movi, when it's off no problem the balance is accurate.
    When I turn on the Movi and move it little bit, when I dont pan at all or leave the Movi on a stand (while working) the camera doesn't point straight.
    The other problem I have is that I can see in the material that I shot, the movement of me walking. The shot is not smooth like I use to see before, it shakes little bit up and down. I tried to get the motor tuning higher value but still the shot is not smooth. I also check that the plate is locked tied and all other clamps close very tight.
    Any ideas...?
    Ariel

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ariel can you post you settings that you are using?

5. Ariel Glikson

Ariel Glikson New Member

Canon 5D markII + 24-105 lens
    I did default config. The only thing I changed after that is stiffness and tilt mode to Majestic mode.
    Pan - Roll - Tilt stiffness to: 30-20-10
    Majestic Mode - Tilt mode enable
    Ariel

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Your gain settings are way to low. Should easily be able to get them at least double those values. Try doing pan first, then roll followed by tilt. If you are using both hands while filming have someone hold it while you do the gains.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Aeriel: Also remember that the MōVIis not the same as a Steadicam -- it can remove motion in tilt, roll and pan, of course, but it cannot remove vertical motion (other than by tilting the camera). So if you walk normally, you will see some vertical motion in the objects near to the camera with respect to the more distant objects (aka parallax).

You need to walking or run using a "glide walk/run" (think Groucho Marx) to minimize that vertical motion and let your arms play the roll of the iso-elastic arm on the Steadicam. The other way I was taught was to fill a coffee cup with hot water right to the brim and then learn to walk carrying that without spilling it.

Hope that helps -- and apologies if you already know all of this....
    Shalom
    Andy.

8. Ariel Glikson

Ariel Glikson New Member

I can not get the Tilt more than 6 !
    The Roll not more than 20!
    The pan not more than 30!
    Very strange, I am sure the camera is balanced perfect, it will stay in any position when the MoVI is off
    Ariel

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Aerial:
    Are you adjusting the stiffness settings with the MōVI resting in its stand, or with someone holding both handles?
    If it's just resting in the stand it will oscillate much more easily because the stand doesn't offer the same amount of mechanical inertia as when you hold both handles.

Andy.

10. Ariel Glikson

Ariel Glikson New Member

The MoVI is on its stand, I raise the stiffness than I hold the MoVI in my hands to test, than I put it back on it's stand.
    If I raise the tilt more than 6 it immediately start to vibrate, if I touch it it will stop but than when I leave it again it will vibrate again.
    Do you mind if I call you, can you write me your phone no.?
    Thanks
    Ariel

11. Ariel Glikson

Ariel Glikson New Member

Any ideas guys...?
    I am a Camera Rental House owner and I have a costumer coming to rent the MoVI tomorrow for a commercial use.
    I need your help!
    Thanks
    Ariel

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I've sent you a "Conversation" message, Ariel rather than publish the number. :)

Andy.

13. Ariel Glikson

Ariel Glikson New Member

Hi Andy
    I looked again at the bottom of the camera and I noticed there is the gap between the lens and the camera plate
    I tried to put some paper between the lens and the plate, to fill in the gap, and it does make a big change!
    With the paper filled in between the lens and the plate, I can get the tilt stiffness up to 25! (before I couldn't get more than 6) So we learned something, there must be good contact between the camera or lens to the plate to avoid shaking.

I still have the problem of camera pan drifting
    I hope someone from freefly will have an answer for this issue.
    Thanks very much for your kind help, that was life saving!
    See the attached picture of homemade solutions...
    Mind the gap.
    Ariel

Attached Files:

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Ariel: It was a pleasure talking with you.
    I sent you an email, but just in case other people read this thread later: make sure that the camera is absolutely rigidly mounted to the gimbal -- if there is an looseness at all the camera will act like a pendulum and the MōVI will oscillate at very low stiffness settings. The wedge that you are using helps decrease any "play" between the camera and the gimbal. In fact, any mechanical looseness on the gimbal itself will also make the MōVI oscillate at low stiffness settings.

Hold the gimbal by the end of the two 15 mm horizontal tubes in your left hand, and grab the lens barrel close to the lens hood and gentle try and move the lens/camera up/down and left/right. There should be no movement at all. You may still find that wedges will allow higher stiffness settings, though.

Hope this helps!
    Andy

(And "Mind the gap" is what they shout on the London Underground, aka the Tube, in case anyone's curious! Some Tube stations have gaps between the platform and the train.)

15. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Hi Ariel,

I don't have the Movi remote in front of me, so someone can jump in on the proper terminology.. Make sure your roll and pan are centered in the graphic display on the DX7. If not, the Movi will drift.

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Justin:
    Ariel's using Majestic Mode, so the Trim Settings on the DX7s will not be a factor.

Ariel:
    Did you discover whether there was any mechanical play on the MōVI and the camera?

Andy.

17. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Hi Ariel
    I'm using a similar set up with 5D/3 but a 24-70 lens and have managed setting of 115/25/20 for Pan/roll/tilt stiffness. I The movie will vibrate slightly when left on the stand, but vibration disappears as soon as you lightly touch the handle. There seems to be some really different setting from different users, which is confusing to a novice such as myself. Not sure if the settings I'm achieving are good or not, so if someone could give me an idea I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers
    Garry

18. Arturo Bernardi

I noticed that sometimes with very light setup i can't get hight stiffness value...try to add weight...i noticed that cause i switched from a red scarlet to a 60d and the stiffness value for the heavier camera was higher.
    Art

19. Arturo Bernardi

Ariel how did you solve the orientation issue?
    thanks