/dist/images/branding/favicon

Spektrum Diversity Board on Radian Setup

Discussion in 'Radian' started by James Cole, Feb 26, 2013.

1. James Cole

James Cole Member

Hi Everyone, Here is all the info I can find on the Spektrum Diversity Board and its use. I do not know if it works on the Radians yet.
    http://translate.google.de/translat....de/topic-22520.html&sl=de&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

• Connector 1: Connection to the flight controller
    • Connector 2-5: Connection to satellite receivers
    After powering the circuit on, the LED blinks fast, until a valid RC signal is received on one of the connected satellite receivers. At this point the diversity switches to that channel and the LED will turn off. If all satellite receivers have valid RC signal, the strongest signal wins. During operation, if the active receiver loses the signal, the diversity will switch to another of the connected satellite receivers and the LED on the circuit will lit permanently as an indication that the previous receiver had a glitch. The lit LED can turned off at any time with a short press on the binding button. The LED will be off till the next glitch is detected.
    Binding Instructions:
    As any spektrum receiver, the diversity board and the satellite receivers connected to it will have to be bound to your spektrum transmitter. To enter the binding mode, you will need to hold the binding button pressed while powering on the circuit. All attached satellite recievers will be blinking fast during binding mode. The LED on the diversity receiver board will blink briefly 3-6 times, then it will turn off for a few seconds after which it will start flashing again - waiting for the RC signal. At this point follow the instructions of your RC transmitter to turn it on in binding mode. When the RC binding signal is detected, the satellite receivers will follow their routine of binding and blink slower. When the binding is complete, the LED's on the satellite recievers will stay on and on the diversity board will turn off.
    If the binding does not succeed, then it must be repeated still maximum 3 times. The diversity controller has been programmed with 4 different binding sequences for different spektrum product combinations, and try each of these at the next binding attempt.
    Every time new spektrum receivers are connected the binding process has to be repeated.
    The board needs a supply of 5 volts (instead of 3 volts - like the MK FC would use for a single satellite

2. James Cole

James Cole Member

Since the Radian system uses normally one satellite, adding the diversity will requires 5 volts and then steps the voltage down to 3 volts for each of up to 4 satellites.

How much voltage is coming out of the Radian satellite port? and if it is 3 volts, how can we increase this to the required 5 volts?

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

4. James Cole

James Cole Member

Also instead of using the diversity board can just plug a satellite into each one of the radians for up to 3 satellites?

5. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi James,

Why not just use one Satellite? Seems much more simple and elegant.

Tabb

6. James Cole

James Cole Member

Changed my name.

I am getting signal dropout about every 5-6 flights when i get about 250' up and 4-500 feet away or directly overhead. I think that the carbon is blocking the antennas when my cam operator rotates the 3 axis

7. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

HI James, where is your antenna placed?

Tabb

8. James Cole

James Cole Member

The antenna is placed below the roll axis pivot point on the rear carbon tube that connects the side arm. it's wires are running parallel to the carbon tube and are about 1/4 inch away from the carbon. photo.JPG

9. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

I run mine on the aft gear leg towards the bottom and have never had an issue. You may need a longer extension to get there. In the location you have it there is a lot of carbon to block the signal. Keep it simple and try getting it out in the open away from carbon.

10. James Cole

James Cole Member

OK, I will try that position. But that does not answer any of the questions I have posted here and defeats the purpose of this Post.

What is the voltage coming out of the Radian Satellite port and can you attach a Satellite to each individual Radian?

I ask this question because in other posts on this forum, the diversity board is recommended as a solution to a problem, but no details are given if it works or not.

11. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

HI James,

1. Spektrum port is 3.3v
    2. No you cannot connect a Satellite to each Radian (well you can but only one can control at a time)

12. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

I have not tried running multiple satellites through the diversity board off of a single Radian. I suspect it would work but my only question is would there be enough power to run both the satellites off the Radian satellite port.

Brad

13. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

James
    You might be interested in this.
    It is an off-brand spektrum receiver and can have two more satellite receivers plugged into it for your diversity. The benefit is that it has sbus out to connect to the Radian. It is getting power from the Radian so no worries about having enough power for the satellites.
    Looks big but is very light weight.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Had to smile when I saw:
    All OrangeRx receivers are QC tested before leaving the factory.

What a quaint idea -- and interesting that you can sell that as a product feature.

Alternative? : "Nah, we just make'm and ship'em. You, the end loser, get to test'em. Whaddya want for the price, arhh?" (Oops. I'm starting to write like Jon Stewart speaks.)

Andy.

15. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

My caveat is as before - probably wouldn't fly the copter with it, but ok for the camera operations.