/dist/images/branding/favicon

Revert back to original firmware - Oscillation Problem

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Paul Slupski, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Paul Slupski

Paul Slupski New Member

We've been working our red epic on our M10 since early February and its been going great.

We're checking out our camera today for a shoot on Monday and running into some major oscillation problems when the camera is tilted down past 10-20 degrees. Our motor settings are Roll 50, Pan 40, Tilt 35.

We started with our epic fully rigged and noticed the problem. We then stripped everything off the camera except for our 18-50 red lens (which has worked great before with higher motor settings).

We upgraded to the new firmware this past week, did a factory reset today and re upgraded the new 3.07 firmware and we're still getting the same problem.

We'd love to revert back to the original firmware to see if this will resolve the issue, right now our motor settings are set to below 20 to be able to tilt down where as before we were up between 70-50.

Thanks,
    Paul

2. Robin Opgård

Robin Opgård New Member

We are also having some problems. In airborne mode we get so much oscillation that the Movi kills it self in a couple of seconds. In remote its just fine. Im guessing this is because of the new firmware. I would also like to revert back to the original setup.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Paul/Robin: Could you drop an email to support@freeflysystems.com please -- if you're not in the USA you might not know that the major National Association of Broadcasters show is starting in Las Vegas this coming Monday - Thursday, so it might be a little harder to get a quick response.

Andy.

4. James Leonzio

James Leonzio Member

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I fly the same exact setup almost every day, and the second I flashed the M10 to the new firmware and upgraded the android app, I re-calibrated, and my stiffness settings ended up different. I seem to have settled on some good numbers, but it was kind of like starting from scratch.

Also, the pan and tilt smoothing settings that I always use gave me a totally different behavior from the MoVI; much slower than I was used to. So I ended up halving those two smoothing numbers, and I seem to be back where I was before the firmware upgrade.

5. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Have you put on anything new?

Changed anything?

Make sure all bolts on the handle are nice a tight.

Balanced perfectly on all axis?

Lastly, forget about he numbers and check the footage- how does it look? I sometimes do some do some really quick changes on the camera and don't rebalance (not recommended) but depending on the shot and time crunch I do it.. That's usually when I have to run the numbers a little lower..

Moral of the story- if it looks good... Shoot it :)

6. Kevin Descheemaeker

Hi

2 days ago we did a shoot with our M10 and RED Epic setup and everything went well. Yesterday morning we did the upgrade to the new firmware as well and from that point we are struggling with the settings. We can't eliminate the footsteps feeling of the operator. Is there anybody that knows what do to?

James you where telling that you fly everyday that setup with the new firmware, can I ask you what your settings of the pan.roll.tilt axis are?

Many thanks!
    Kevin

7. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

During the update process the instructions say to save your current config and they also walk you through the process of doing that. This will enable you to reload those settings without having to go through the process again.

8. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

The "footsteps feeling" is either translation, which the MoVI does not compensate for or the tilt axis moving during a walk which would be low stiffness settings. Did you reload your saved config file from before the firmware update?

9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

If didn't save and reload your previous settings try doing a reset to factory defaults and then tune. Upgrade wipeout previous settings

10. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Has it been verified there indeed is a glitch in the upgrade firmware? I have not done it on my M-10 because I usually like to see what happens first. I didn't want to do it if there are some things that need to be worked out.

Thanks.

11. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Adam follow the instructions. Make the back up of your current settings as outlined in the instructions and you will be fine.