/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian is pulsing to one side and I can't fix it,help!

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Nathan Reim, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

I just installed the new firmware to my radian and have hooked it up to the roll axis on my AV200 and I thought I did everything by the book but now my gimbal is going to the right side and maxing out and then continues to try and keep rolling to the right or left it seems to do what it wants. Please help!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Nathan:
    Can you post a screen shot of the Diagnostic Window and the Configuration window from the Radian software that shows how you have it configured?

Could you also tell me what connections you have to the various ports on the roll Radian sensor and how you are providing power to the gimbal.

Finally, could you take a digital image of the gimbal showing how you have the Radian sensor mounted?

I presume, to avoid damage to the servo, you have removed the belt?

Thanks
    Andy.

3. John Cunningham

Nathan,

Double check you have the module mounted in the correct orientation and programmed for the roll axis.

There is a sticky thread on here which shows how to verify the orientation.

4. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

5. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

Not sure why the pic of the radian uploaded sideways. I was told by QC to mount it in the middle of the arches. I have the BEC running from my battery to the number 1 slot on the radian and the Roll servo on the R spot. By battery I mean my main flight battery.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Well, then, that second image clearly shows your problem -- you have all your stuff stuck to a wall not to a table! :)

Joking apart, I'm concerned that the Radian is not close to the center of rotation. JohnC can confirm this, but I think it has to be mounted very close to the axis of rotation.

You'll see what i mean if you look in the documentation, Image 3, which shows where the Radian is mounted very close to the center of the pulley.

JohnC: For Nathan's camera mount, where would recommend the Radian be mounted?

Andy.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oh. Then it's not stuck to a wall? :)

And Quadrocopter picked up on the same thing I did -- I don't think that the Radian should be mounted out on the left or right hand side of the gimbal. Can you mount the Radian in the middle of the arches and try it?

Andy.

8. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

OK well here is the issue with having it at the top of the arches. Because its in between the arches I cannot get the power cable and the roll cables to not interfere with the roll axis. Its going to get caught up when its moving.

9. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

I did see another guy on this forum who had the radian mounted in the same place I had it and I think he got his working. SO\o you're thinking there is no way of getting that setup to work?

10. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

Andy,
    ok I was able to put it in the middle and its doing the same thing.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Sigh. There goes that theory.

Did you just move it or did you move it and re-program it starting from default settings? Again, I'm grasping at straws, however, if that's all you've got to grasp.....

Sorry not to be able to summon up an "Aha!" moment...
    Andy.

12. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

Andy,
    See I dont even think I am doing the programming correctly. I have a feeling that's what it is.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Sorry to sound like a shrink, but what makes you say that you've not done the programming correctly?

Can you tell me how the Radian sensor is wired up? What wires are going to which ports, please?

Thanks
    Andy.

14. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

The BEC is coming off of my Main flight battery, then it is plugged into slot 1 on the radian. Then the roll servo is plugged into the Roll slot. I think I set it up right on the computer, but I am second guessing my work there.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Use a port other than 1 for providing power just to avoid the possibility of electrical noise coming in on the signal line.

When you say the roll servo is plugged into the roll slot, can you confirm that it's connected to port 4 on the Radian sensor, please?

If that doesn't help, then I'm afraid we're going to need Tabb or JohnC's assistance as it seems that you do have it set up correctly unless I'm overlooking something obvious.

Andy.

16. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

When I start my tool on the computer I changed the comm to 5 and really didnt do anything else do you see an issue with how the pic of the computer looks.

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Using a different COM port is fine.
    I don't see any issue with the screen image other than the sensor is commanding the servo to move -- and the Current Angle/Demand is -15 and 0 -- so the sensor is apparently trying to command the servo to move.

Andy

18. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Default Roll-1 settings are set for roll radian that would be mounted with the "radian" logo facing the rear. I cannot tell from this image what is front and rear.
    Greetings,
    Adam

19. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

Its in the correct orientation then

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Nathan: One question I'm not sure you've answered is: When you say the roll servo is plugged into the roll slot, can you confirm that it's connected to port 4 on the Radian sensor, please?

I also should clarify to avoid any misunderstanding: A "COM Port" is on your PC and has nothing to do with the Radian sensor's "ports" which are the row of connectors on the Radian sensor.

Thanks
    Andy.