/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian and sbus

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Pavlos Antoniou, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Pavlos Antoniou

Guys i am new to radian and sbus too... If i use sbus reciever is there a need for the pclink of the reciever??

Thank you!!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi PaNt:
    No, you don't need to using the CIU PClink software -- the Radian sensors appear to the S-bus receiver as S-bus servos. The first Radian sensor is connected to the receiver, the second sensor is daisy chained to the first sensor, and the third sensor is daisy-chained to the second (the sensors use S-bus between themselves). You set the channel numbers to which they respond using the Radian software itself. Each Radian can respond to up to three different channels:

1 - The control signal for the slew commanded (not normally used for roll -- let the Radian keep it level).
    2. - The mode control (off, stabilized without ground control, stabilized with ground control)
    3. - An optional auxiliary PWM port to which you could control a PWM servo or a camera control.

You set the channel numbers in the Radian software. So, for example, channel 5 could be the mode control for all three Radians (tilt, roll, and pan).

You really do need to use the mode control at least for pan so that you can avoid the phenomenon of having the top part of the Cinestar spinning when the gimbal is on the ground -- which happens because the Radian pan sensor is trying to "stabilize" the pan axis, but, of course, cannot move the gimbal because it's on the ground.

Hope this helps.
    Andy

3. Pavlos Antoniou

When i have PPM setup or SBus setup the recievers PWM channels are working too???

THank you

4. Pavlos Antoniou

Also has anyone tried the Frsky Sbus or PPM recievers..!

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The Aux port can be used for PWM when you use either PPM or Sbus.
    I'd recommend you watch/read the following items if you have not already done so -- it may save you a lot of head-scratching!

Andy

http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/radian-software.138/
    http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/radian-setup-videos.147/
    http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/things-you-did-not-know-about-the-radian.221/

6. Pavlos Antoniou

I asked you something different ...! its not a question for Radian..! I know about the aux of RAdian and how it works.. I asked you about the recievers if you know when they are on Sbus mode or PPM mode if the PWM channels are working too..! BUt i think that they are not working..!

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oh. Sorry. I presume you are using a Futaba Rx, but I don't know the answer. If nobody else responds I can look with an oscilloscope this evening (in about 4 hours from now).

Andy

8. Pavlos Antoniou

9. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

When using a Futaba S.Bus receiver you can utilize the S.Bus output in addition to the normal PWM outputs from the receiver.

Tabb

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Tabb. I don't know whether that holds true for the Frsky receiver -- and testing the Futaba this evening isn't going to me much help to you, PaNt. The S-bus may be compatible, but who knows whether the Rx is outputting PPM/PWM also. Please let me know what you find out.

Andy.

11. Pavlos Antoniou

Thank you guys..! Great SUpport.. That makes me Happy..!

I will post when i checked it..!

I am coming from PS1 and picloc to CS 360 and Radian..! It will be a nice comparison!!

12. John Cunningham

The Rx has no idea if anything is connected to the SBUS - it is just an output signal. Hence it must also be driving the PWM outputs as well ...

13. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Hi guys
    the 8FG manual at page 21 on top says that conventional servos can be used simultaneously with SBus system
    Also on page 30 at the bottom when showing SBUs system.. it says that conventional servos can be used also.
    The diagram shows conventional servos in channels output of rx and Sbus servos in SBus output wth hubs
    regards
    Ramesh Tahlan

14. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

I have the 3-Axis gimbal with Radians and FrSky TFRSP receiver (PPM) is receiving the commands from my Futaba T10CP.

Channels 1, 2 and 3 have changed places. The input channel monitor sees channel 1 (aileron) as channel 3, channel 2 (elevator) as channel 1 and channel 3 (throttle) as channel 2. Channel 4 (rudder) is still channel 4.

Is there any way of changing the channel routing from the software? Should I be worried about this phenomenon? I am flying my CS8/Wookong-M with a Futaba T8FG and a sbus receiver. Now I am thinking maybe my 10CP ends up sending confusing signals and the control of the copter might be affected.

Edit: Changed the receiver to Futaba s-bus R6303SB and the channels are correct now. Better safe than sorry.

15. John Cunningham

Tuuka: The radian swaps the input channels internally depending on what type of receiver you are using. It does this to try and get the main Tx sticks to appear in the same channel numbers of the Radian display. Each receiver type is swapped differently to match sbus. I think your PPM receiver is being swapped as if it is the normal PPM input whereas I expect it is futaba channel order instead of graupner order.

I hope that makes sense. The bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with your equipment.

16. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

John for clarity. If you change from one TX/RX brand/type to another then you need to reset the channels for mode/slew in each of the Radians?

17. John Cunningham

Gary : as a general rule, no. This is exactly the reason it does it - so that the Radian channels stay the same even though they are quite different in the actual receiver.

The main reason for it is so that if you have a single/dual operator setup using sbus/PPM for single operator and a Spektrum receiver for the second operator, the elevator/aileron/rudder stick inputs appear in the same channel numbers.

I didn't take into account some of the 3rd party receivers (like the Frsky) which muck it up a bit ...

18. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Got it. Misunderstood the logic.