/dist/images/branding/favicon

Problem with Freefly HDMI converter & 5D Mark II

Discussion in 'CineStar Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Katya Nelhams-Wright, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi there.
    I have just installed my new Freefly HDMI converter this evening and I have a signal out from my video tx to my monitor but I can't seem to get an IN signal from the 5D to the HDMI converter. I don't have any other HDMI cables tonight to test if it is the cable but if anyone has made the 5D work and can throw some light on it that would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Katya

2. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Hi Katya,
    This might be a dumb question, but do you "live view" enabled for "stills+movie" and have "auto power" set to "off" on the 5D? It burns batteries but with auto power set to off, you'll always see what the camera sees...for both photo and video.
    Chris

3. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Chris
    Yes to all that thanks.

4. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Having done some more tests my freefly HDMI converter works with my C300 but not with my 5D mark II. Has anyone gotten the 5D mark II to work with the converter or is there a compatibility issue. It does not work with the Canon 550 either.
    Also mine does not stay in PAL when you put the plastic bit on the 2 pins. As soon as you power down and back on again it defaults back to NTSC not matter whether the plastic is on or not. Then when you remove the plastic bit it switches signal in both directions. Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Katya

5. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Katya you might want to check with your dealer and see if you can get a replacement.

7. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Thanks Howard!:)
    Hi Gary
    I just bought it Thursday from a uk freefly dealer. Just to I know what to report to them....should it be replaced because of the pal/NTSC issue or is it that it should work with the 5D and isn't?
    Thanks
    Katya

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Katya:
    Just happened to see this message. I've used the FF HDMI just fine with the 5D, albeit in NTSC.
    You mention the "plastic bit" for the HDMI converter -- that actually should be shorting two pins together. Can you verify that there is a metal insert in the plastic bit? If it, for some reason, is missing, that could explain what you're seeing.

Andy.

Katya Nelhams-Wright likes this.
  9. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Andy. How are you:)
    Have you tried it with the 5D mark II. I was wondering if maybe there is something different about the architecture of the hdmi out on the older cameras.
    In terms of the plastic bit. Yes there is a metal bit across the top of it. What happens is that no matter whether the pin is in or not is goes to NTSC when you power it on. If I put the pin in then it does go to pal but if I power off and on again it goes back to NTSC even with the pin in. If I then pull the pin out it changes to pal. If I power off it goes to NTSC and so on.
    I am powering it through the radian by the way.
    Thanks
    Kat

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Katya:
    Doing fine -- survived the alleged ordeal of testifying to the Oregon Senate Committee on Judiciary without too many scars.

I just realized -- I've been using a 5D Mk III, so my data may be invalid.

If the converter's not switching to PAL and staying switched to PAL I suspect you will definitely need to talk to your dealer.
    Powering it via the Radians is fine it doesn't pull that much power.

Andy

11. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

My FF converter does the same! It switches between NTSC and PAL with or without the jumper. I use the gh2 and it works fine if the output is set to NTSC in the camera menu but the problems is I can only shoot 1080/24p then and I like to shoot 1080/25p (wich it does if output is set to PAL). So I'm back to using a small FPV cam on the side.
    But correct me if I'm wrong but the jumper is for the converter output not input!?

G

12. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Gustav.
    I took the HDMI converter back to the dealer and after different trials with various cameras and other Freefly HDMI convèrters if was my converter which had a problem so they just swooped it for me.
    You are right in the fact that it seems that the converter is only for the output but in my case it made a difference to the input too....not sure why but it did. I would contact your dealer and see if they are happy to change your unit for you.
    Good luck
    Katya