/dist/images/branding/favicon

Possible Accessory? - Built in stand for M10

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Mike Duval, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Mike Duval

Mike Duval Member

Crazy idea here but do you think there'd be demand for a set of handles that have a retractable, 2-section carbon fiber, shock-corded, bipod foot style handle. I envision it as a design something like a hybrid of this: http://www.amazon.com/Tippmann-X7-Action-Bipod-Handle/dp/B000X0ETCC
    and
    http://www.amazon.com/Davis-Sanford-Connect-Tripod-Connex/dp/B006DX1HVY/ref=pd_sim_p_7.

Basically this would allow you pull out the legs from each handle to create a 4-point stand. When not in use, the mounting hardware for the carbon legs would slide up into the handle once folded. This would be great to be able to set the M10 down on location for a moment without needing to home base to the stand. I'm not sure if this mechanism could fit inside the current diameter M10 handle but I though it might be a cool idea.

Mike

2. Jeff Cook

Jeff Cook Member

Interesting idea, you would want to make sure there is a locking mechanism to keep the legs securly in place. It would be a disaster to have one drop out while in a full sprint! :eek:

3. Mike Duval

Mike Duval Member

Ha! An accidental "landing gear down" scenario would be troublesome. In this case I'd say that the legs would still be rather short, just long enough to provide clearance for the tilt arm's bottom most swing.

4. James Leonzio

James Leonzio Member

Haha. At first, I thought this was a rediculous idea, but today, I was shooting and just wished I could set the rig down for a minute or two on the floor without having to return to the MoVI stand. Any idea on how this would attach to the crossbar?

It may be simpler to just attach those flexible 6" tripods to the bottom of the handle. Yeah it's more permanent, but you wont have to worry about that retractable mechanism failing.

5. Mike Duval

Mike Duval Member

Yeah. I can't profess to know the best engineering solution but it would be great to have some kind of built in stand so we don't have to re-enact the Karate Kid "Crane Kick" pose. Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 4.48.56 PM.png

Brad Meier likes this.
  6. James Leonzio

James Leonzio Member

Hahaha. Love it.

All joking aside, this is actually the biggest problem I have with the rig at the moment. It's so awkward to put down. I need a person or a table following me around at all times.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

8. James Leonzio

James Leonzio Member

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

10. James Leonzio

James Leonzio Member

I just posted this in another thread, but would love to get some help on making a more refined version of this...I just want to be able to set the rig down on the ground for a minute or two at a time to get some rest. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I think you should put little bootees on the feet. :)
    It would be a great talking point -- you could put it down on the ground, take a few paces away, turn around, point your finger at it and say, sternly, "Stay!"

Nice experiment though. It doesn't look terribly stable though...

Andy.

12. James Leonzio

James Leonzio Member

haha, will definitely do the "stay" routine a few times.

It's actually more stable than I though it would be, but I'll add a few inches of PVC at the T-joint.

One thing I've noticed is that it is now VERY susceptible to vibrating while sitting on these PVC feet. i actually can't set it down for more than a few seconds before the motors start freaking out. But then I put it back on the standard MoVI stand and it settles just fine. Is my stand too rigid? Does the rig need some ability to move in order to avoid the resonating frequency and vibration?

13. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

James on those PVC pieces once it starts to vibrate there isn't enough resistance to absorb any of the resonance. The stand is better and in your hands is best. Same issue when tuning in the stand. You can get higher gains when holding it than in the stand.

14. James Leonzio

James Leonzio Member

Gotcha, makes sense. Thanks Gary!

15. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

James it might be a great video. In the back of my mind I hear Dire Straights Walk of Life and see the MōVI on the PVC jiggling, dancing and walking across the floor...:cool:

16. James Leonzio

James Leonzio Member

Oh, man. I like where your head's at. Except that song instantly reminds me of Space Camp; remember that flic? Maybe I need to make this video to break that mental link:)