/dist/images/branding/favicon

Nasty vibrations, please help.

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Janne Hoglund, May 14, 2013.

1. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Trying to get smother flight with my CS 8, MK stack.
    360 gimbal with radians on tilt and roll
    QC motors, with Carbon 13x6,5 from Simon Jardine. Blades and hub balanced.
    Look at vibrations after 20-30s.
    Does not stop if radians are off.
    More vibrations if windy!
    Less vibrations if I use a dome!

Gyro 139, 112, 5
    Maybe 139,90,5 gives little less vibrations...
    Motor smooth 6

http://fjh.se/vibr.mov

regards.

/Janne

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Maybe double check that the FC is mounted securely still? Also try 120, 110, 21 and see how that works. Turn off motor smoothing.

Josh

3. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Fc Mounted securely still.
    Did try very similar values to 120,110,21 and no motor smothing, but much vorse vibrations then :-(
    Thanks for your input Josh.

4. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

Sounds like motor bearings or like the flight controller is causing the esc's to "hunt." I dont know the correct word but is this with no weight/camera mounted to the cs8 and gimbal? Seems when you put more load on it, it got worse.

5. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Film is from GH3 with 12-35 mounted in Gimbal, same load the whole time.
    But flying in more wind does give more vibrations.

6. Tristan Twisselman

That high pitch squeal noise that starts at the same time as the vibration leads me to think it is something mechanical. Hard to say without seeing it and hearing it in person though.

7. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

You think something is not mounted tight enough?
    Flying from calm areas into windy areas often does start the vibrations if I dont have the dome over the electronics in center.
    GPS and Navi is on boom 1.

8. Tristan Twisselman

I dont think it has to do with something not being mounted tight enough. It just doesn't sound right. Maybe post a picture of your copter.

9. Manuel Frauendorf

Hi Janne, have you solved the problem? Run in to similar matters with lots of vibrations...

10. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

New hight sensor and trying to get batterycables away from FC.

11. Manuel Frauendorf

Do you usally fly with the height sensor turned on?
    Which vibration dampeners do you use, the red or blue rings?

12. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

With the new hightsensor it is possible to use alt hold and still have smooth flight.
    My camera is 900 g so I use 6x red rings.

13. Manuel Frauendorf

Sounds good Janne, think I try to change the Battery-Setup to get FC a bit higher away from high currents.

I dont usually use alt hold but always get small vibrations. Tried changing Gyro d all the way to 45 but it does not help significantly. Disturbances are something like high frequent microwobblers going through the red rings to the 3-axis gimbal. Using Black rings or a mix of red and black changes behavior but does not make it much better. Any idea what it could be?

Also:Balanced propellers. Should balance the engines also, use the KW8?

Thanks for all ideas and knowledge offerd

14. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Balancing motors I have not done, using QC-3328.
    But props balanced both blades and hub.
    Gyro settings, as for now, 140,90,5. But I have been all over the place....default, ....100,100, 15.
    Some use 100,120,and 24-30 isch.....
    Hoping for Tabbs Synapse to be better here!

15. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Manuel there is an iPhone app called Vibration that several people use. Basically you strap the iphone to the boom and run the motor up without the props on. Then through trial and error you put on a piece of electrical tape maybe 3.8 inch wide, run the motor again, check the indication and then move the tape to a new position. Keep repeating until you find the sweet spot.

Not sure what you are using for a prop balancer or types of props. I tried both the magnetic kind as well as the DuBro Tru-Spin. The DuBro does a much better job, at least for me. Props are probably the most critical followed by the motors. Yet I know of some members that do nothing. They get it as close to smooth as they can with o rings and then clean it up in post. No right answer.

Shaun Stanton likes this.
  16. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

Agreed I find that the DuBro it seems to do a good job of getting a well balanced prop.

Another thing to check is the motors. I had one motor out of the box with shady barings. You can tell if you free spin the motors with the props. If you here noise then a bearing might be going out.

17. Jan Rune Berge

Jan Rune Berge New Member

Samme problem! Det er vertikal "slark". Ta tak i motor aksling som popell er festet i. Hvis du kjenner en bevegelse her vil det bli vibrasjoner når motor er i nøytral trust (ingen belastning)' skift motor eller skift lager/aksling.

18. Manuel Frauendorf

Thank you Janne and Gary,

yesterday I changed one engine bearing which made some noise, got a little better, but its marginal and could be an illusion also :)
    Put the FC higher away from cables of battery- no result
    Guess I have to play around more with the gyro settings. Gyro D was my big hope but very small jiggling movements of the copter are still present. Despite O-Rings and dampening they go down through the gimbal and show in the picture.
    Next thing i did is checking balance of the engines, I used a laser attached to the boom, pointing it 5m away, could not find any abnormal oscilations. May I should use the iphone method...have to get a new phone first, iphone 3G wont work

Slowly running out of options here...

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Manuel: I've watched your video a couple of times and I confess I've never heard a copter making that screeching noise before.
    I realize that I'm "coming to the party late," but I was wondering whether you could check how tight the propellers are on the motors? I'm trying to identify what might be causing that screeching noise and why it only starts some 20-30 seconds into the flight.

If you hold the bell of each motor, can you move the propeller blades if you put a lateral force on the propeller blade out at the tip of about 1 kg? I only use the AFC plastic propellers and they require a force of about 2 kg at the blade tip before they will move....just by way of comparison.

As other people have observed, those vibrations do not feel like they are coming from the MK board set (unless one of the boards has a problem). It really sounds/looks/feels like something mechanical. Why the dome being present changes anything is hard to understand, I must admit.

Let us know what you find in the way of propeller tightness -- do you by chance have any AFC props you could try just to see if it changes the symptoms?

Hope this helps
    Andy.

20. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

For me the Dome did help, as did flying in less wind.
    Mounting the new hightsensor and trying to pull batterycables further away from FC has helped, and now 80-90%
    of the vibrations are gone...