/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mounting Sony CX760V on 2-axis

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Chris Babiana, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Hey everyone...
    I scored a great deal on a open box (new) factory refurb Sony HDR CX760V at the Sony Outlet for $700...couldn't pass that up!
    I called Quadrocopter and sent a few emails but understandably, they're quite busy and I have a shoot coming up.
    As far as mounting on a 2-axis, it appears I need extension tubes for the mounting plate to accommodate the camera's length and upgraded battery and was wondering if anyone could provide me with the correct length to purchase...there's a variety to choose from.
    Also, which LANC cable (from Quadrocopter) are you using?
    Any advise would be appreciated. And if you could, attach a photo if you have one.
    Thanks!

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Sorry, Chris, I can't post a photo because my copter's taken apart right now for the ACC upgrade (sent FC to QC).
    But here's some random brain droppings (ref: George Carlin) about the 760V...
    • I have the extended life battery, but I never fly with it. It is super heavy, and I worry that structurally it might damage the camera during an unexpected high g-force maneuver (like a hard landing). I just use the stock little battery, and it works great.
    • I also use an SD card instead of the internal memory so I can easily download my films without unmounting the camera.
    • Turn the screen around 180° and close it so you can see it while it's on the copter without too much trouble.
    • Lock the focus at just about 1 click shy of ∞ (infinity) as the Sony will hunt for focus like mad at times when you're in the air if you leave it on autofocus
    • I use the MK LANC cable that you can get from QC: http://www.quadrocopter.com/Sony-LANC-Ctrl-V11-Camera-Remote-Control_p_911.html
    • As far as mounting, I found the only thing that works is using spacers (I'm using 40mm i think) to raise the camera up. I also use the Adjustable Camera Rail (http://www.quadrocopter.com/Adjustable-Camera-Rail_p_847.html) because it is a lot more flexible than the standard gimbal mounting plate.
    • RTFM :rolleyes:
    That's all I can think of right now. Enjoy!

3. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Thanks for the great info Steve...that helps!

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah. 200mm side arms are plenty long enough. With the extended life battery (NP-FV70) you'll find that you have about 40mm of stick-out on the rear of the side booms.

The new adjustable mount does allow good balancing.

On the Camera/Mic setup screen:

With manual focus, when the zoom is fully wide, you'll find that (when you have the manual focus screen up), the focusing distances are infinity, and 2.2 meters! I suspect that's because the lens is pretty much at its hyperfocal distance. I'd plan on putting white PVC tape on the manual rotary adjustment so you don't accidentally knock the focus from infinity. (Note: It has to be white tape. ;) ).

What I actually do is zoom fully tele, then press and hold the "Focus on Mountains" button, and, as Steve suggests, then press the "Focus on People" icon once. You'll end up with the mountains and infinity icons both on. I do this all on the touch screen as the rotary adjustment knob is taped!

Set the shutter to manual and select 1/125.

Set the Steadyshot to be active.

Set the Smile Sensitivity to Normal Smile. (Just joking....)

On the Image/Quality/Size:
    Set the Frame Rate to 60p (you can smooth out the footage in Premiere by re-encoding it down to 30p -- playing it back at half-speed).
    HD/STD setting to HD Quality.

I presently use the MK LANC control (that you can get from QC). Works great.

I prefer to fly with the screen folded in - I power up the camera by pulling on the viewfinder eyepiece which is a nice positive on/off control.

I'm just using the composite video output to a 5.8Ghz Mondo Extreme for the video downlink.

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

6. Steve Maller

I approve of Andy's additions, with the exception of the Smile settings:
    I hacked my firmware so mine is set to "Grimace". :mad:

7. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Thanks everyone for your advice and input...above and beyond as usual!!!

8. Steve Maller

By the way, I have the standard 2-axis gimbal tubes. No lengthening. Works great now that it's riding a little higher in the saddle.

Chris Babiana likes this.