/dist/images/branding/favicon

Maiden Flight!!! Pretty ugly :-(

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Mark Melville, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

After months of working through all the issues today was supposed to her maiden flight. I'm just the camera dude and the enterprising soul who ponied up the cash for this adventure. My pilot is experienced and has a quad and a hexa and knows how to fly.

The bird is a CS8 with MK Electronics, 360 gimbal with radian, Graupner MX-16 TX. Right now I'm flying a very light Canon HD camera for tests.

On take off it veers to the right and tips over immediately. My pilot is throttling the bird fairly slowly until it reaches enough RPM'a for liftoff. We tried 5 or 6 times for liftoff with the same results. My pilot asked about me Gyro setting in MK Tools. Right now they are set as default.

I so so want to see this thing in the air!!!

Any ideas

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Can you post a video of it?

Check to ensure all props are spinning the correct direction.

M1 - CW
    M2 - CCW
    M3 - CW
    M4 - CCW
    M5 - CW
    M6 - CCW
    M7 - CW
    M8 - CCW

Try holding the copter above your head and have him throttle it up. See what it does... DO NOT LET GO AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FIRM GRIP!!!!

Also did you calibrate your ACC and Gyro? Before your first flight you need to calibrate the ACC. Make sure the copter is perfectly level and then with everything powered on go up and to the right on the throttle. Hold it there until you hear a few beeps from the copter. After lower throttle then up and to the left to calibrate the gyros. You will hear a few more beeps. Then do your motor start and see what happens.

Hope this helps!

Josh

3. kjetil tønnesen

Sorry to hear
    if you have your setting to defalt that should fly
    do you have it set to octo 2 in mk tool?

chech all your motor and props and se if all motor is going the rigth way ,and if you have the rigth props for eatch motor
    set your pid to 100-120-25 and check your main gain it should be around 6-8

4. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Hey Mark.

I experienced the same issue when I first started to fly mine. "My pilot is throttling the bird fairly slowly" If you give it slow throttle (from my past experiences), it will always want to lean one way or another. Give it quicker throttle and it should pop off the ground with no issues. I always test with slow throttle just to see which way it wants to lean (so I can compensate for it when taking off) then pop it off the ground. Prop wash also affects the way it takes off. Once a foot two off the ground, it will be smooth...I run mine with default settings, but will be softening it up just a bit.

Josh Lambeth likes this.
  5. Josh Lambeth

This is also a very good point. If everything else I mentioned above is setup correctly and it's still having an issue this is most likely your problem. Prop wash happens till your about 2 1/2-3ft off the ground.

Josh

6. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Thanks guys, All the props and prop directions are correct (at least I think, see below) and set for Okto 2 in the mixer. The one thing I did not do is set the ACC. I'll set that and we'll run some more tests in the morning. Let me ask a super Newbie question; I'm running APC 14/4.7. The prop labeled P is clockwise correct?

7. Josh Lambeth

Yes that is correct.

8. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

The the props are and prop direction is correct. Thx. Josh

9. Josh Lambeth

Then it's almost a 100% that it's the ACC causing the issue. Once thats calibrated you should be good to go.

BTW I should mention that the ACC only needs to be calibrated ONCE! Do not do it every flight. The Gyro calibration is the one that happens every flight (up and to the left on the throttle).

Josh

10. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

make sure the flt ctr board's arrow is pointed forward, in between motors 1 & 2

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Sorry to come so late to the party -- was out all morning.
    Any Mark it looks like the guys have given you all the pertinent advice.
    I remember the prop direction with the mnemonic Other Person's Copter. OPC. Odd P-props Clockwise. Odd number motors have P-props that go clockwise.

Make sure that the embossing of the 14x4.7P is on the upper surface of the props too. Not that I ever put a prop on upside down, you understand. ;) (I caught the mistake before takeoff, fortunately.)

Andy.

12. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

ACC Calibrated. Hell of a lot easier then the whole compass fiasco. So the Gyro needs to be calibrated before each flight? Is that correct? And that is done with motors on?

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Nope. Power on. Left stick up and to the left until you see LEDs on copter flash (if you have them, that is), and the copter beeps.

Need to do that before every flight after you've changed the flight battery -- I don't think you need to do it if you just land to tweak cameras and don't power the bird off.

Andy.

14. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

What stick mode should it be in for all of this? Reason being I live in Italy and they all seem to fly with stick mode 1 including my pilot.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmm. I've only ever used Mode 2, Mark. Sorry.

Andy.

16. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I powered up my Cinestar 8 right after I built it a couple weeks ago to see if it worked. In my haste and excitement to see if worked (the little boy in me took over) I didn't take care of the little details. For one I did not adjust the joystick from the stock neutral setting. When I powered up the bird went straight to the right (yawed right) with a lot of throttle and crashed into a sitting bench next to it. I just damaged a few props nothing too big but I thought I would throw out the part about the joystick since it happened to me. When you go down and right with the left stick to turn the motors on, if your joystick is still setup for neutral you might be giving it more gas than you intend after startup. After startup if the stick isn't kept press down all the way and to the center, the copter will yaw right with more than idle gas.

Since my little accident I removed the vertical spring in the left joystick and set the brake spring adjustment screws so that the stick doesn't move until I move it. I have not flown since because the winter weather has been so bad but it made a big difference in the flight simulator that I use.

17. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Power on. Motors off. Correct? Thanks o great oracle of all things Cinestar. How are those trees behaving up in the Pacific Northwest, still feisty as ever?

By the way what are you using for video downlink?

18. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Stick mode 2 will yaw left when pressed left and yaw right when pressed right.

19. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Hey Dave out did the bench fair? At least there wasn't a family with a small dog sitting there.....

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

And no trees were damaged.....

But that's a good setting to have Dave. You really don't want the throttle doing things when you let go, IMHO.

As you say the weather has been pretty crappy -- except when I've had to work. Then it's wall-to-wall sunshine, "severe clear," isn't it?

Andy.