/dist/images/branding/favicon

Loss of tilt control?

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Chris J Ayres, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Chris J Ayres

Chris J Ayres Member

Folks,

I had a funny issue today. During flight I lost the ability to correctly tilt the gimbal. I will try and describe best I can what happened. All in slew mode.
    1: First the camera tilted itself down after working normally. Bring the camera back up then resulted in it simply tilting itself down again.
    2: Then after landing and resetting everything (turning TX and CS3 off and back on) the camera would not tilt at all, so reset again and all seemed ok. Starting flight and commenced shoot and the tilt worked then stopped again.

It is as if the system either loses connection to the spektrum satellite or reverts to position 1 on 3 pos switch, i.e. stabilised no slew. Had this issue on PAN when I first set up the system and had to reduce travel in TX for aileron to 60% to stop the issue. Did the same for TILT (80%) on elevator as this seemed to work fine and has in fact been working OK for 2-3 weeks.

2. Chris J Ayres

Chris J Ayres Member

Folks,
    Tabb, anyone, I really need some help here. The unit just does not function reliably and it is affecting my business. I am losing the ability to control the slow of the CS3 all the time on every job. Some more information:

My TX is a Spektrum DX8
    Initially I had the LED camera control lead plugged into tilt on port 2 and configured as AUX 7 in the RADIAN SW. The tilt stops working yet all lights (orange and green) are on and I can see in the SW digs the slew mode is engaged and the slew moves on the diag screen when I move the stick on the TX, but no actual movement on the CS3. I then reconfigured the system on the PAN RADIAN for port2, AUX7 etc and the PAN then intermittently stops, kind of jerks left and right during a move and stops. Again all lights are on and the SW shows the TX stick moving as normal. The tilt continues to work but the orange light will go out intermittently and then the tilt axis centres itself, the orange light comes on again and I can move it, then the cycle of failure repeats.

Only way to solve is the turn on off the power to the RADIANS and switch on again....then the problem outlined above repeats.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris can you shoot a short video of what is happening. Also there is a sticky with a 'trouble' ticket outline that you can copy and paste into the reply. In your second post it sounds like you swapped the tilt Radian with the Pan radian. Is that correct? Basically moving the problem from tilt to pan?

And finally since it started on tilt have you checked the set screw that the large pulley that attaches to the tilt shaft? That sometimes comes loose.

4. Chris J Ayres

Chris J Ayres Member

Sorry I cannot seem to load the video file, the upload option won't let me select it. I did not swap the RADIANS around merely reconfigured the camera control on the PAN instead of the tilt. Even if I remove the camera control and set the AUX on pan to off the problem still happens. All screws are tight, it is not a mechanical issue. I noticed that once the PAN stutters and stops working the green light on that radian flashes and the orange is still on. Looks like the radian goes back into stabilized state and not slew.

What video format can I upload?

5. Chris J Ayres

Chris J Ayres Member

I have posted the video on youtube.

6. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

I can see the Pan moving there which would be normal with the gimbal on the ground except it isn't a consistent move. I have a few things to try. First, remove your camera control from the Radians. See if that improves. Also hook up the tilt Radian to the software and see if you notice anything while the tilt is doing uncommanded moves. Another question... have you been able to replicate the issue on the ground? You can also upload photos and screenshots of your Radians and software settings.

You can also try running with the pan Radian only then if all is well hook up roll then tilt. Maybe you can find at what point you start having issues.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris: You are correct. You don't upload videos to the forum (the file sizes are too big), so you post it on YouTube/Vimeo/etc. and then post a link.

It sounds like you have an electrical noise problem, but without knowing the precise configuration you have it's hard to help. If what Brad suggests doesn't solve the issue, can you copy the questionnaire at http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/radian-issue-please-read-this-first.744/, paste it into a message, and fill in the details, please?

Thanks
    Andy.

8. Chris J Ayres

Chris J Ayres Member

We can close this thread.

9. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

What was the final solution? Hard to close a thread with no reported ending..