/dist/images/branding/favicon

Jitters when controlled by separate radio

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Tristan Twisselman, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

Radian is driving me crazy. It is smooth for the cam op when panning right at any speed or stick deflection. D/R and expo on or off. But when going to the left no matter what the D/R and expo are set at it has a jitter/bounce while moving. It is fine auto compensating with no jitters left or right. Sometimes when going to the left at full stick deflection it will be smooth until stopping then it has a short jitter. Ideas?

2. Philip Ellerbroek

Check your pan pulley. Get the band as tight as possible. Also, check pulley wheel screw an that its tight. Ps do this for all particularly the tilt. This was my issue.

Phil

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Philip's right, Tristan. Also, does this happen when you have the copter on the bench and suspended? If so, might you be able to create video showing the activity on the Diagnostic window of the Radian software? Is there any jitter in the slew signal?

Where I'm going is to ponder whether the jitter is "commanded" (by possible noise in the slew signal) or is electromechanical -- as Philip, I think, suspects.

Andy.

4. Philip Ellerbroek

Ps .... Have you done a firmware update in the last 30 days?

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Also a good point! Tristan you should be on 1.03.

Andy.

6. Tristan Twisselman

I have not updated my firmware to the newest version yet. I tightened my pan pulley as much as I could and it helped but it is still there. Could I need a new belt? I will update the firmware today and see how it goes.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Tristan: It's a toothed belt (the teeth should make contact with the pulleys), so unless it has stretched or is damaged it should not need changing.

Andy.

8. Tristan Twisselman

yea. Is it the way the radian controls the servos that causes the problem to be there with the radian but not when I had hoverfly. Everything was the same belt tightness etc, just different gimbal controllers

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

There's a known issue with jitter on version 1.02 of the firmware Tristan. Could you download the 1.03 firmware and upgrade please?
    Let me know if this fixes the problem, please.

Thanks
    Andy.

10. Tristan Twisselman

Still got the problem on 1.03 and it is extremely frustrating considering when shooting right now we can only control the camera to the right and its smooth, control to the left and it is almost like the signal is pulsing on/off to make it not a smooth movement. It did it today when auto compensating and when being controller by the camera op. The belt can not be any tighter than it is so I have no idea where to start, my gains are pretty low as well especially compared to others. Any other possibilities? I know it has to do with radian setup or something because it didn't do it with my hoverfly board.

11. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

12. Tristan Twisselman

Of course i miss the most important post dealing with Radian issues, sorry about that. Yes I will repost this afternoon with that information and try to get video as well. Thank you.