/dist/images/branding/favicon

Help, can't get batteries to charge on M5

Discussion in 'Batteries & Power' started by Brian Taylor, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Brian Taylor

Brian Taylor New Member

For some reason both of my MOVI M5 batteries won't change. The charger indicates that it's charging with all 5 LEDs on and glowing red but the bottom light never turns green (switches are on LiPo and 1A). When I put one in the MOVI it powered up for a second then the bottom light blinks green indicating a dead battery.
    I just flew to Hong Kong and really need this thing to work.
    Any help would be great.

thanks,
    Brian

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Brian when you are charging are you following the instructions in the manual and not lonely plugging in the red/black leads but also the balance cable (white molex) into the side of the charger? Also in the proper orientation? If you are looking down on the charger the molex has two small tabs on one side. They need to be facing up and the red wire towards the bottom of the charger where the red/black cables plug in. Also the switches should in in the 1A and LiPo positions.

Screen Shot 2014-06-06 at 8.19.28 AM.png

If the batteries prior to charging were drained to below 3 volts then they may need to be replaced. Do you have a volt meter to check them?

3. Brian Taylor

Brian Taylor New Member

Thanks for the reply Gary.
    Before I left I check the voltage on both of the batteries [one was 13.5 and the other 14.5 if I remember correctly]
    Both battery plugs appear the be plugged in properly-- I've uploaded a pic for reference.
    I thought the MOVI M5 batteries could only take a 1A charger?
    image.jpg

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Brian, I pulled the wrong diagram. It was for the M10, larger battery. You are correct with the 1A. How long are you leaving it on the charger? It will take some time to charge. If that isn't the issue then it may be a bad charger. Contact support@freeflysystems.com.

5. Brian Taylor

Brian Taylor New Member

I've left them on the charger for over 24 hours, so it would seem to be the charger. I would really need a voltmeter to check.
    Can you overnight a working one to Hong Kong for me???

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Brian: Gary and I are volunteer moderators so we're not at FF.

If you're in HK, I'd try and find a hobby shop (there seem to be several on-line according to Mrs. Google) -- and buy a Lithium Polymer (LiPo) battery charger. For example, this looks like it might do the trick: http://shopping.rcmodel.hk/charger-...extreme-605-lipo-balance-charger-p-14041.html.

You'll find that the same banana connectors that connect the JST (two wire) connector to the LiPo are widely used -- take the LiPo and charger to the hobby shop and they'll help you find a good charger with the correct leads. The balance connectors are also usually the XT connectors on the Lipo's you have.

Then set up to charge the battery as a 4S (four cell) 14.8 volt, LiPo at a charge rate of 1.3 Amps. You can have the problem solved in an hour or so -- rather than waiting a day or so for a new one from the USA.

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member