/dist/images/branding/favicon

Handheld or Airborne

Discussion in 'MōVI Controller' started by Derek Cooper, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Am I missing it - how do you switch between handheld and airborne from the Controller?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Derek Cooper

I guess so. Presumably the auto tune is identical whether handheld or airborne.

Any reason you can see to get an Android tablet for configuring in the field that can't be don't w the Controller?

4. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

Auto tune is different. In handheld mode when balancing the pan, the movi will spin 90 degrees, in airborne mode it doesn't

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The functionality of autotune (i.e. the autotuning aspect) is the same, but resulting settings will be different because of the different mechanical aspects (e.g. masses in motion, etc.). So autotune and then hand tweak for the different physical modes that you'll be using the MōVI in otherwise there's a risk (as in, it always seems to happen to me) that you will tune for one physical setup (e.g handheld) that then produces oscillations when you're in a different mode.

The Android tablet does offer the Charting options where you can better see what's going on with the gimbal and the motors, but I've not done a rigorous comparison of the features that you can only do with the Android/Mac/Win Configurator application.

Andy.

6. Derek Cooper

What confuses me is why while using the Controller you can't define whether you're in Handheld or Airborne modes?

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I think the confusing part is that with the MōVI Controller, the "Dual" mode really should be called "Airborne" when you're driving a MōVI MR. I'm going from what Brad wrote in the posting for which I provided a link:

While in Kill, no power is given to the motors.. for lens changes, balancing, etc. With Dual, the remote operator has full control over pan and tilt. With Majestic, tilt function is still available with either controller but you cannot affect pan (thats what Dual mode is for). Not having remote Pan control while in Majestic mode is normal.​

Are you finding what Brad wrote to be wrong?
    Andy.

8. Derek Cooper

Brad is correct.

We've always auto tuned in majestic mode from the Controller and then flipped to Dynamic for flight.