/dist/images/branding/favicon

Crunchy motor noise...

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Chris Babiana, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

While spinning the motors during a preflight check, I noticed one of them had a slightly crunchy sound when spun. I blew it out with pressurized air (computer dust cleaner) but the sound remains. I haven't flown this bird all that much but I'm thinking it's the motor bearings. You can also feel a slight vibration while touching the boom or landing gear. Needless to say, no flights today.
    Has anyone experienced this?
    Here's a video. You'll have to turn your volume all the way up to hear it, but it's there.
    Thoughts?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

May be the bearings. I would remove the props from all of the motors and then test it with the Motor Test in MKTool where you can check one motor at a time. Search the forum for the word Vibration and you should find some examples of using an iPhone or Android for doing vibration testing. If it is the bearings you can replace them pretty easily. A number of us bought the bearing replacement kit from Bartman over at http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...ring-Press-Tool&highlight=bearing+replacement

Chris Babiana likes this.
  3. Pavlos Antoniou

I have the same problem..!

LoL..!

Just buy new bearings :p

Chris Babiana likes this.
  4. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Gary...I'll run that test in MKTools...
    Pavlos (or Gary)...do you know what size bearings, washer and spring clip I need for this motor...it's a 6mm shaft. http://www.quadrocopter.com/QuadroPower-Motor-QC-3328_p_392.html

Or if you could direct me to where you purchased them? I found this site which sells an assortment of bearings: http://gothelirc.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=122&cat=Bearings

I'll call Quadrocopter tomorrow (no info on their site about this...or replacement bearings) but if its something I can pick up at my local hobby shop, I'd rather get it locally.

5. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

The bearings you can get from BocaBearings. They have a lookup table. The motor shaft is a 4mm. The prop shaft is 6mm.

I would recommend buying the install tool from Bart. That will come with 20 washers and e-clips. If you need more you can buy them from McMaster in lots of 100.

Watch Barts video on how to install. It is important that they go in without getting cocked sideways. That's why his bearing press tool is so important.

6. Pavlos Antoniou

7. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Perfect! Thanks for the quick reply guys!

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Don't be chintzy. Get the ABEC #7 (top grade bearings). :)

Andy.

9. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Thanks Andy...will do!

10. Morgan Friedland

How many bearings per motor? I have a few crunchy 3328s. Is it bad to replace the failing bearings as they fail or would you just replace them all at once? (You are probably going to tell me to just do them all which leads to my next question of why do I ask?)

I swear every time I find a way to bring in a little revenue it seems to go right back out twice as fast.

\m/

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Morgan replace both at the same time. The bearings are easy to replace. Get Bart's replacement tool as mentioned earlier in the thread. It takes more time to get them loose off the copter than it does to do the replacement.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Gary's absolutely correct.

Cash flow: The flow of money out that exceeds projections and the flow of money in that comes nowhere near projections.

Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.
  13. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I agree. It takes about 5 minutes to do a bearing replacement once you learn how to do it. I always feel like a member of a Indy 500 pit crew when I do it... ;)

14. Morgan Friedland

Ok, thanks Gary. So each motor takes two bearings which makes sense. If I spend the time to open the motor I will definitely replace both with the #7 units. Is it not ideal to have rebuilt motors with newer bearings on the same bird as non rebuilt motors? Or, to put it another way, if I am going to rebuild one of these motors (with two new bearings) should I just do the other 7 so they all operate the same. Probably overkill I suppose but the cost is not that much in the grand scheme of things and spending $120.00 on new bearings plus the Tool, clips etc is feeling like pocket change for this industry. This is the part I will buy and I think it comes with two bearings...

http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/Radial-Bearings/16646/4x11x4-SMR694C2OS7NB2

I also ordered the tool and the 20 washers and clips. Do you know how many each motor takes? Sorry if all these have been answered before. I only get a few hours each night after I put my 3 small kids to bed to work on this stuff. My real job is IT guy for small businesses around Seattle.

Morgan

15. Morgan Friedland

My Mistake. I linked to the wrong product. I will purchase these instead which come in Qty 2. Cost to redo all 8 motors is $250.00. *sigh*

Morgan

16. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Morgan. 1 clip and 1 washer per motor. If you run out McMaster sells 100 of each for about $20. Replace only the motors you need. However after you get the tool and prior to removing the old bearings pull it apart and see if there is any foreign object inside the motor causing the noise. If you blow it out with air slide the bell back on and see if the sound is gone. If it is replace the washer and clip and run it up on the copter. Might get lucky and not need new bearings.

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

18. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

I bought that tool, it works great , I the clips I got from Bart are not same , if I use the clip and washer that came with the tool there is a very slight play in the motor

19. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Jason, same here. I ended up just ordering spare motors. Not very cost effective but I know they won't have issues for many flights.

20. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

I wish motor Co, would sell it as a tuneup kit, I did the same thing to, Aerial media pros say they have there on heavy lift motors made for them , when I contact them for bearing, clip, washer, I don't get a response, hahaha :)