/dist/images/branding/favicon

Controller seems to have a dead spot in communicating...

Discussion in 'MōVI Controller' started by jim mundell, May 4, 2015.

1. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

Hi, Using my M15 with Movi controller the other day and we seemed to have a dead spot about a 100' out where the Movi stopped communicating with controller while on my RC vehicle. Movi spun around to front. Lasted about 10' then started working again. Coming back towards us it did it again. It seemed to be in the same spot everyrtime.

Did it the other day at another place but was about 50' away. Same thing, dead spot for about 10' both directions.

Any thoughts?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

RF interference?

3. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

I would guess interference as well.

We have had it a few times.

Try changing channels.

(I also had it earlier this week with a GoPro 4 close to the MoVI for a BTS shot. The WiFi was turned on and it made the MoVI go into a crazy roll/pan).

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, GoPro's with WiFi on are to be avoided. When you get that close to a transmitter it almost doesn't matter what frequency it's transmitting on!

Andy.

5. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

I am guessing rf interference?? We were on a road that ran thru a farm though the first time. The only thing around were a few trees and a speed limit sign. Happened right near the sign. It did not block us was just near my rc vehicle.

Second time on Rocky steps with people around and tons of go pros. So maybe?

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Jim:
    On the MōVI Controller, which direction was the antenna pointing -- horizontally or vertically?

Also, might it be that the MōVI Controller receiver was on the far side of the MōVI, effectively with the antenna on the receiver occluded by the MōVI itself?

Andy.

7. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

Horizontal/flat- straight forward towards movi.

The Movi rear was facing us. Driving away from us.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Try having the antenna pointing directly vertical -- the maximum field strength radiates outwards from the tip of the antenna like a ring, so if the antenna is flat/horizontal, the ring is going left/right/up/down -- but not much signal is going towards the MōVI....but when you point the antenna at the sky, it radiates outwards like a pebble dropped in a pond.

Also, how do you have the MōVI controller's power level set? In the USA it should be set to 4 for maximum radiated power.

Hope this helps.

Andy

9. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

Will check on the power of controller. Didnt even know that could be adjusted. Is there any tutorials on the small details of the controller? Don't see some of the really finer points being discussed.

Thanks on the antenna. Will try that as well.

Thanks for the replies!

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Jim:
    Not sure about tutorials regarding the power level -- I just came across it when exploring all the menus and looked it up in the manual (see page 22).

As to pointing the antenna, that's not mentioned in the manual, I'm afraid. I only happened to know it from radio antenna theory -- and only then because of my geeky background.... :rolleyes:

Andy.

jim mundell likes this.