/dist/images/branding/favicon

Chirping out of order question

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Jim Swanson, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

For the past year I've had very little problems with my Hexacopter.
    Suddenly, after I plug in the battery, the motors are not chirping in order...1,2,3,4,5,6.
    Motors 2 and 3 are reversed...1,3,2,4,5,6
    Everything is spinning the right way.

Also, I'm getting an I2c error (6) in MK tools after I initialize (up and to the left).
    If I initialize again, it adds 6 more errors for a total of 12.
    If I initialize again, it adds 6 more errors for a total of 18...you get the idea.

I just replaced the PDB (thinking that was the problem). All the lights under the board are solid green.
    MK tools shows no errors in the readout window and all the check boxes are green.

Could I have a flight control board problem? Could it be the cable that connects the PDB to the flight controller?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jim

2. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

There are 2 other threads that mention this..

One talks about chirping out of order. Apparently, that's common, and it's normal for it to change. Each BL chirps independently of the others, so it's ok if they are out of sync.

The other talks about I2C errors. In the end, it was a tiny, tiny sliver of solder on a C-D terminal that was causing the errors. You may want to check the boards VERY carefully with a magnifying glass to check for dirt, solder, etc... that could be the cause..

Best,

Ben

Benjamin Freedman
    PrimeImage Media
    480-399-0000 - direct
    480-240-9270 - office
    866-549-6051 - fax
    ben@PrimeImageMedia.com
    www.PrimeImageMedia.com

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The source code in main.c at lines 171 to 209 (the main logic for the Flight Control Board), fires off "wake up" commands to all of the BL-Ctrls that should be present on the copter. There's a timeout delay that allows up to four seconds for the BL-Ctrl boards to "wake up" (as the comment in the source code calls it).

So each BL-Ctrl has a four second window to respond. It's a bit of an electronic crapshoot as to which BL-Ctrl responds. The logic does not wait for each BL-Ctrl in turn -- it just shouts "wake up" at each BL-Ctrl board and moves on to the next, then checks that all of them have responded within the four seconds.

The amazing thing is that the actual sequence in which the BL-Ctrls respond ever is the same, not that the order varies sometimes.

So it's more important that each motor respond, chirp'n'twitch, than it is they do it in a particular order.

When you power up your copter be amazed if the order in which things happen is the same as it was the last time -- what matters is that all the motors respond!

Andy.

4. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

Great answer Andy as usual.
    Now if I could just figure out the I2c error. Could the problem be the FC board or the cable? I replaced the PDB and the same problem exists. I'm running out of things to replace.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Well, Jim, recent experience has shown that the answer to that is most likely to be something physical. Certainly check the cables, also look at the FC, NC, and PDB boards and make sure there is not the minutest whisker of solder between the C and D connectors.

Then you'll need to try a process of elimination: If you have the GPS and NC board, unplug the ribbon cables that connect them to the FC board and see if you still get the errors.

Then try unplugging the PDB from the FC, connect MK Tool to the FC and see if you get the errors. You will, of course, get errors as you lop off bits of the system, but ignore those -- what you're looking for is just the I2C bus errors.

The general diagnostic strategy I'm following has the rather prosaic name of "unplug stuff until the system starts to work right" -- and then start plugging stuff back in. When what was working stops working, then what you just plugged back in is causing the problem.

This strategy is viewed as a trade secret by those in the computer business and we charge big bucks for it, but it really does come down to just what I describe. Just don't tell anyone I told you this.... :)

Andy.

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

As Andy mentioned and has been seen in the last couple of situations, small wire whiskers that were almost invisible without a magnifier were the cause of errors.

7. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

Seems like people have seen the whiskers on the C & D pads. Could they be else where and still cause the I2C problems?

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Probably or something worse like a short on a power cable. After doing an board work go over it with a good light and magnifier.

9. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

The C&D pads on all the boards look fine under magnification. I checked other areas and did the old 'plugn-unplug' but found nothing.
    GPX files show no I2c errors or any errors. MK tools main status window shows no error. All lights are solid green on FC, Nav, and PDB.......BUT....the 2 windows in MK tools off to the left still shows I2C errors. I must be missing something.

I'm going to send the 3 boards and connectors back to Quadrocopter rather than buy more parts to test.

Thanks for all your help guys. This is really a great forum.

Jim

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Now I'm officially puzzled. No I2C errors in GPX files but you see them in MK Tool? Oh....wait a minute....I seem to remember there might have been a bug in the NC board firmware where the I2C errors were sometimes (or was it always?) showing as zero in the GPX files.....

It's not just the C and D pads you need to check....check the whole boards. Solder bridges/whiskers might be causing the I2C errors at other places (e.g. where the traces from the C &D pads/mini-Molex connectors go to).

Andy.

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Andy I to remember seeing the release notes about the 0 recorded errors being fixed.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah...I'm going from memory. Was it in the 0.X8 series firmware it was fixed?

Andy.

13. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

NC 0.28p (Bugfix 22.11.2012)
    • FC_I2C_ErrorConter in the Logfile was always zero
    • Start Logfile with 3 satelites

14. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Jim

I just went through this all and had a very small sliver between C and D. When you say you check the I2C errors in MK tools I bet you are seeing that number in navigation mode? In MK tools switch to flight control board mode and see if you have errors there? IF you don't see the I2C errors on the left side, click the analog signals button and the parameters will change. You can see I2C errors in both modes and they will probably be different. My I2C errors also went up by 5 every time I initiated the gyros but in flight control mode in MK tools it was a random number that wouldn't change. Go to my thread on page 4 I have some pictures of what to check for. http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/i2c-error-counter-question.766/page-4

15. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

Hey Dave,
    I discovered your thread after I began mine ...started with chirps and ended with whiskers...sorry for the duplication....
    I'm going to give the boards one more look see before sending to Montana.
    This thing is like passing a kidney stone.:eek: