/dist/images/branding/favicon

Can't start motors but could yesterday

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Devin Card, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

Motors won't start by tx but have full control over them in mk tools. Just added GPS and navi. I have disabled them both and have connected straight to fc with mk tools. No errors.
    I calibrate and then do engine start and nothing happens.
    Any thoughts??

2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

HI Devin

Let's start with some simple stuff first. So you are saying that everything was working until you wired the nav and GPS? Are you saying that they are not even wired to the flight control board or that they are wired but disabled in the software? If you have them wired up do you have the check box checked that says you have to have a SD card in the navigation card on startup? Have you checked to make sure the receiver is still bound to the transmitter? I would also verify that your Channels 1-4 are working correctly in the channels tab. Make sure they are responding correctly as you move the sticks.

3. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for speed response!
    I had everything working fine....added gps and navi and had everything working yesterday, (motors would start and stop and cine would repond to basic commands but it was raining so didnt fly) ....have flown just manually without gps for last 9 months
    ....tried to start up today... no luck....
    so i disconnected wires to gps and navi and disabled gps in mk tools. All my channels work according to mk tools. no boxes are checked.
    Am able to calibrate gyros and acc but cant go to next stage of motor start

4. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

oh to add....
    I have the new ff motor control set with IC2....all works. All motors work under mk tools

5. Dave King

Normally the simple stuff that I know of that prevents start ups would consist of:
    1. SD card not in Navigation SD card slot or it pops out of the SD card slot by accident.
    2. No GPS fix
    3. ACC not calibrated
    4. Gyros not calibrated
    5. Receiver becomes unbound
    6. TX channels become uncalibrated preventing the left stick to hit -100 and -100 to trigger start electronically.
    7. Compass not calibrated
    #1, #2, and #7 shouldn't apply to you if you don't have the nav/gps wired up.

I assume you checked your battery and tried another one?

You could reinstall the firmware on the flight control board if you run out of ideas to try but somethings telling that there could be something with the I2C converter that could prevent this if something with it is not absolutely right? Gary would know and I'm sure he will chime in.

6. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

HI,
    Everything has been checked that can be checked....
    Yea I just upgraded to latest version of fc and i wonder if it is not compatible with I2C conertor.....have to do some searching

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Devin:
    Just to test your theory, try downgrading back to the previous version and see if the problem goes away. It's a bit irritating to have to do, but it would be proof positive -- that said, I believe Gary's on version 2.0 (which beta'd as 0.91j if my memory serves me correctly).

Andy.

Devin Card likes this.
  8. Dave King

I would be shocked if 2.0 was the issue because Gary's been flying the Beta for a while and 2.0 is essentially the Beta.

Devin Card likes this.
  9. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

Or did you upgrade firmware and need to start motors with the new dual stick start and stop method?

10. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Likely the motors don't start as the default is the 2 stick method for safety reasons. Left stick to lower right, then right stick to lower left. Outlined in the 2.0 instructions. Also as Dave points out depending on your configuration values may not start if you don't have the minimum GPS sats.

Steve Maller and Devin Card like this.
  11. Dave King

I think you nailed the obvious that I missed. I forgot about 2 sticks. I'm still on 90J.

Devin Card likes this.
  12. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

14. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

VERY unwise to load a new firmware without reading and fully understanding the update notes!!! All sorts of nastiness could have happened.

Devin Card and Steve Maller like this.
  15. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

Howard: Lesson Learned....first time updating....so didnt know protocal

Was able to upgrade fc to 2.0 but now can not get a connection with NAvi board....any suggestions.....even tried downgrading back to earlier versions and no luck.....so fruastrated

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I've responded to your other posting on this topic, Devin.

Andy.

17. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Devin it's a good idea before an upgrade to do screen shots of every MKTool screen. You will find with the updates it's not like a computer update. Many of the settings will get reset to default value and unless you check every screen against your last known good configuration you may get an unhappy surprise on the next flight. Also carefully read through and check off each of the changes that are included on the wiki instructions. Slow and methodical and check it more than one time.

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The other option you can consider as a possible alternative to Gary's suggestion (and I'd recommend this only for those with geek in their heart), is to save the current settings using MK Tool. This creates a file of type .mkp -- but it's just a plain ASCII text file so you can read with with Wordpad, etc. It just stores all of the settings in sections that correspond to each of the screens.

You can even use Microsoft Word's "compare documents" feature to compare your previous saved settings to your currently saved settings to you can see what's changed.

Note that occasionally MK will alter the contents of the .mkp file so resist the temptation to bring forward your previous settings by loading the previously saved .mkp file. Bad Things can happen.

That's why, for example you'll see a warning like this:
    Compatibility
    Note: the challel numbers were changed - Do not load saved settings from older version with the KopterTool!​

See http://mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/Firmware-2.00

Also note that there are five independent parameter sets for MK Tool. Most people work with only Setting #3. But if you use more than #3, then you need to set all five correctly to bring them forward to the new version.

Andy.

19. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Andy is absolutely correct, at least if you are a computer geek :). I am much simpler and strongly believe that a picture is worth 1000 words especially if I have to read them in something as archaic and so 70's DOS like, you do know what DOS is (Dinosaur Operating System), as Wordpad in ASCII. Seriously Andy we are in a new millennium where we have gotten rid of green screens and eye shades :cool:

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

MS-DOS is the first known computer virus. :)
    It started life as Q-DOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System).

Actually a picture is worth several thousands of words of memory.

As for the American Standard Code for Information Interchange (ASCII), yeah, I'm afraid it is archaic. People really should be using Unicode, but what can you do, eh? :)

But Gary's right. The data in the .mkp file is a bit hard to understand ;)

[Setup]​
    Name=Easy​
    IniVersion=4​
    GlobalConfig=107​
    GlobalConfig2=34​
    GlobalConfig3=81​
    [Channels]​
    Nick=3​
    Roll=2​
    Gas=1​
    Gier=4​
    Poti_1=7​