/dist/images/branding/favicon

Can the Sony NEX cameras do this? ...

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Ben Freedman, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

Howdy...

Can the NEX cameras (5, 6, 7?) take photos while also shooting video? Or would one need to land to pause the video, to put the camera back into photo-taking mode?

Inquiry minds... :)

Thanks!

Best,

Ben

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Short answer. No. But you don't have to land. Will write the how tonight.

3. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

Hmm... If you're going to suggest a 3-way switch for video and photos... I'm out! I only have 2 on the mx-20, and I have them set for GPS and Camera Tilt...

If you have another suggestion, I'd love to hear it! :)

Best,

Ben

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ya got any rotary dials left? If you do they will work. Get a StrattoSnapper from www.littlesmartthings.com. I use a 3 way switch but a rotary will work. You can program the Stratto for a variety of cameras. Center would be off.

For my NEX-7
    1. Position 1 - Set to trigger at -85 or greater value. Triggers video to start. After triggering (starting) switch back to zero. Will continue to film until you repeat. Takes the NEX a few seconds to finish writing the file.
    2. Position 2 - Set to trigger at +145 or greater. Triggers photos. You can set it to shoot photos as an intervals, mine is a 2 seconds and will continue to shoot until you rotate back to zero. Faster that 2 seconds and the buffer will quickly overfill.

You can do it in flight though I would suggest a camera video switcher so that you can see what is happening during the stopping and starting. If I am flying FPV with the goggles on i switch from flight to the camera. Make sure it has stopped/started whatever and also use it for checking framing.

Besides being able to use it with IR cameras it also has a wired connector so I can use it with wired cameras like my Nikon. Has worked flawlessly and Esben continues to add further cameras. Will also control the zoom on the Sony's. Check it out.

And need more switches? Get an MC-32 or maybe an MC-20. Won't ever need to say "I dont have enough stinking switches...."

5. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

Great suggestion. That's exactly what I think I'd do if I had another 3-way switch! :) I have the stratosnapper. Great kit! :)

Could I do this? : I currently have the shutter on a momentary switch... Could I make a rotary control alter the flight mode of the switch so that with the rotary paned left, I get camera shutter on the momentary switch... and then with the rotary paned right, I get the video on/off on the same switch?

The logic would be something like this:

Rotary panned left = Momentary range = 110-184 (to control shutter)
    Rotary panned right = Momentary range = 85 - 135 (to control video)

Can a rotary be setup to control the momentary's flight mode state? or something? That'd be cool.... Start with rotary left to capture some photos... Then rotate the control right, and now the momentry switch will control video....?

Thoughts?

Best,

Ben

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Yes that should work. Watch in on the MX-20 screen when you set it up. Then watch it in the StratoSnapper software to make sure it is doing what you want.

I was using a rotary on my MX-20 to control the Radian Mode and it worked fine.

7. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

Any idea how to set it up? The MX20 manual is less than easy to understand?

Best,

Ben

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

It is done on the Control Adjust page on the menus. Select the channel, click on SET, and then rotate the knob that you are assigning.

9. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

Hmmmm. That'll allow me to set a channel to the rotary knob... but what I need is to have the rotary knob adjust the TRAVEL settings on the momentary switch control... Isn't that more complicated than just through the control adjust setting? Or am I missing something?

Best,

Ben

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Ben: I think you may be over complicating this. Can you use MK Tool and look at the Channels window and see how the controls change the channel values for both an MC switch and also a rotary control (you'll need to assign the switches to a channel, of course).

It's one of those things that I suspect will snap into clarity for you when you actually see what's going on when you operate an MC switch and a rotary control.

Thanks
    Andy

11. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

You're probably right, Andy... I'll try to keep it simple..

Do you know the best way to setup the MX20 so that a rotary control can be used to affect the travel of a momentary switch? Which menu would that be under?

Best,

Ben

Benjamin Freedman
    PrimeImage Media
    480-399-0000 - direct
    480-240-9270 - office
    866-549-6051 - fax
    ben@PrimeImageMedia.com
    www.PrimeImageMedia.com