/dist/images/branding/favicon

Best Charger to use

Discussion in 'Batteries & Power' started by Caleb ware, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Caleb ware

Caleb ware New Member

Well the time has finally come where my dreams of owning a movi are true! The M5 arrives in a few days and I am wondering what the best charger is to use for not just charging but storage discharges and discharging for travel etc? Do you more experienced operators have go to chargers for this stuff? I see a billion options out there just want to get something reliable at a good price!

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Caleb ware

Caleb ware New Member

Done! Sorry about that. Any advice on a charger that will discharge etc safely for travel?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Caleb: Gary and I use the Hyperion SuperDuo 720i, but a quick Google search for: lipo charger discharger
    brings up quite a choice.

You should also get a Lipo alarm: Google search (you guessed it): lipo alarm
    You want one of these connected to the balance leads whenever you have a Lipo on the MōVI otherwise you can kill a Lipo stone dead by over-discharging it. Not that I've ever done that. Well, not so far this month. :rolleyes:

Andy.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Correction for me. I wanted more power than the Hyperion and switched to Revolextric Powerlab 8's. Handles more power for charging larger packs, has a robust parallel charge board (2 battery's at a time) and easily integrates with a PC for full data and charging information. Also does discharges faster if you need to go to storage voltage.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Sorry, Gary...Didn't know you'd switched.

Andy.

7. Caleb ware

Caleb ware New Member

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You may discover that you want to charge several LiPo's at once as you get ready for a shoot -- I think this unit only does one at a time and that could get a bit tedious...

Andy.

9. Caleb ware

Caleb ware New Member

Yeah definitely something I thought about. The big down side is weight limits for traveling with the stuff. Im scared of having to add a Power Supply to the charger etc. Ill keep hunting around. Two of these still work out pretty cheap also. The fact that it only charges one aside does it look like it out puts enough and has the right features on it? Thanks again for all the advice!

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

In the USA some airlines have special "Media Policy" for members of the TV and Videographic professions.
    I infer that you might in be in Oz if you're shopping in .au land -- so it might be worth checking with QuaintAss, sorry Quantas, and the like.

Andy.