/dist/images/branding/favicon

Battery Selection

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Tristan Twisselman, May 10, 2013.

1. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

Currently running 2 Thunder Power 6s 6600 25c and was thinking about switching over to the FreeFly 6s 9000 25c. Any of you running two of these packs on your cinestar 8?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Running dual and single 4S. Solid performance.

3. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Ya I am wondering myself what they are really like... I mean that 4s on a standard CS8 style setup is not much of a stress test.
    I run the same ones as Tristan except at 65c and they are really being worked with big payload and are excellent. Unless the FF manufacturer is Gen Ace then I am afraid the 9000 6s's are going to melt at 25c.

Is anybody running them at 10 - 13 KG AUW ?

4. Tristan Twisselman

I need to see what my auw is and ill report back. I'm assuming mine is around 20lbs or more. I'm wondering what kind of warranty or life cycle is expected out of the free fly packs as well. Thunder power warranty is the main reason I chose them.

5. Tristan Twisselman

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Tristan:
    I suspect not....apart from the very professional dialogue that the forum members maintain, they are also quick to respond if they can contribute, so I suspect there is nobody on-forum who knows the answers....

Andy.

7. Tristan Twisselman

Well i guess I will order 2 of them and report back my findings later this week :cool:

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

9. Tristan Twisselman

Im all for helping out when I can Andy. If you want to send me a private message with the details on what you would need from me I will see what I can do. I will be comparing between my ThunderPower and the FF lipos.

10. Tristan Twisselman

Got the batteries last week, first thing I noticed is they are a lot bigger than my 6600's and they say that max charge rate is 2c. Was hoping for at least a 3c charge rate so that is somewhat of a bummer. Ill see how they perform when I get my heli back in the air.

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Very different form factor. As to the 2C rate don't know what you are using as a charger but the Hyperion 720IDuo3 has a max output of 20 amps so it won't do much more than 2C. 2C being 18amps.

12. Tristan Twisselman

Im using the Super duo3+ as well as an iCharger 4010 duo

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The "conventional wisdom" (which may, of course, be neither) seems to suggest that LiPo's last longer and accept more charge the lower the charge rate you use -- Gary, wasn't it Thiago who did some tests on this? (Drone4U).

Andy.

14. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Yes Thiago did a video series and seemed to think that 1C or even 1/2C at least put more mah into a discharged battery. He said that he had one of his QC batteries approaching 1000 charge cycle. Of course if you have multiple chargers, I think he runs 4, each with 2 outlets, and a plethora of batteries it helps. For practical use in the field maybe others could chime in on what they do in reality with field charging.

15. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Good to hear... looking forward to the review.

16. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

I use an app on my iPhone called LiPoLog to track cycles and battery data

17. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

I've been using the FF 9000 4s and love it. Best I can tell by digging up info on the manufacturarer is that they suggest a 500 cycle life. Can't speak to any warranty though, that would be a FF/QC question though.

Great idea Sam. I've been using silver paint pen on my batteries to track their lives but the additional details in LipoLog look intriguing.. I want to know how many cycles I get out of each battery.

18. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

I just got a couple sets of the FF 9000 (6s though) and I love them. I run them in parallel and did a continuous 15 minute shot around a lake without a sweat. I could probably push them to 18 min and still stay under 80%. I want MORE or these!

19. Laurence Hamilton-Baillie

Hello, I have been running my CS8 with a single 4c 10000mah battery. I have just found out that these batteries are too big to take on planes (over 100mwh) so i need to replace it with two smaller batteries. I would also like slightly better flight times if poss as im getting about 12 mins flying bare bones without the gimbal at the moment. I'm a bit of a battery noob, how does it work? Should i get two 4cell 5000mah batteries and wire them in parallel or should I get get two 2 cell 1000mah and wire them in series? Is it more efficient to up the cell number or up the mah to get longer flight times?
    Any help/ advice would be great as i am off to Ecuador next week and need it for that so i'm panicking slightly!
    cheers!
    Laurence

20. Matt Sharp

Matt Sharp Member

Think of your mah rating in terms of your fuel tank size. The more mah you have available the longer you will be able to fly. If your setup is built for 4s (14.8 v) then you need to stick with that voltage rating. You can run 2 5000 mah 4s batteries in parallel on your bird and get the same 10,000 mah that your current single battery has. You have to pay attention to your weight as well though, because it takes more power to lift more weight.

Your best bet is to keep your voltage the same and purchase different mah rated batteries for your trip. Depending on your particular setup, you can't just switch your voltages around without making motor changes.

I'm running 4s8000 batteries in parallel