/dist/images/branding/favicon

Anyone strip the threads on the motors?

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Dave King, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

In the past month I have runied 3 motors because the M6 lock nuts are stripping the threads on the motors for the props. I am only using nyloc lock nuts and I have my props off and on all the time especially since I have been on location a lot and my car isn't big enough to keep the props on. So far I was only replacing the nuts if they seem to feel a little loose which isn't often. The only time I have issues is when I am trying to remove the nuts to take the props off and they always get chewed up toward the top threads not down where the nuts are tight. I am not cross threading them when I put them on.

From now on I think I'm going to start throwing away all motor nuts after 2-3 times of use. Anyone else have any issues?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

While I don't remove the props as much as I suspect you're doing, Dave, I've not seen this phenomenon.

Are you use Ace Hardware nylok nuts?
    Also, are you using a wrench or an electric screwdriver with a hex socket wrench to remove the nuts.

Andy.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave the threaded prop piece is replaceable.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

5. Dave King

Guys thanks. I can't seem to pry the broken one off. Is there a trick to it? I do have the fastners removed :)

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Yes Tiger added the lefty/righty versions in the last few months. Of course where on earth will you find CCW Nylocs or even a standard nut if you lose one. Beter question, what problem was being solved other than showing some engineering ingenuity. Is it commonplace for the props to spin loosely or come off on the prop hubs?

And which is the proper replacement? Is the CW based on the way you screw on the nut, CW or directions of the thread on the bolt.

My head hurts....

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Dave you may have a bit of loctite causing the prop adapter to be 'glued' onto the bell. Mine have always come off with gentle pressure. Took one off a long time ago on a bad motor just to check it out.

8. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Dave,
    I stripped one two weeks ago while tightening down the prop. I had only remove it three times prior. It's a bit messy, but try applying a small amount of Never Seeze on the prop shaft with a q-tip. http://www.neverseezproducts.com/neverseez.htm

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

If you think there's Loctite on it, also try using a heat gun to warm the prop shaft -- it will expand and break the "seal."

@Chris: Won't the Never Seeze kinda defeat the idea of Nylok nuts? I've not used Never Seeze before....

Andy.

10. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Andy,
    I've used it before and never had a bolt come loose until I wanted it to. It's a lubricant, yes, but not in the traditional sense. It prevents stripping from over tightening and assists in clearing debris from dirty threads when backing nuts and bolts out...it's a metallic base paste. I used this on my boat (long gone now) on a few things I would remove at the end of each season (salt water environment all summer long). Everything stayed tight all season long but broke loose with ease with no stripping. Before I used it, those bolts would sometimes strip. I just applied it to my prop shafts (lightly) after I stripped one out as Dave did. My opinion is the threads collect dust and other small amounts of debris that eventually destroy them. These machines kick up a lot of dust.

Dave King likes this.
  11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for the info, Chris.
    Andy.

12. Dave King

Hey guys just wanted to follow up with this topic. When I asked Quadrocopter about it they said that in the stock configuration, you only need the lock nuts for the motors that spin counter clockwise. By getting the counter clock wise mounts, you can use regular nuts and eliminate the lock nuts all together. I bought the clock wise mounts to use when I strip the threads and will just continue using regular nylock nuts. I think its a good idea to use them anyway for all propellers.

13. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Make sure you get extra nuts. Doubt you will find them at Home Depot or Ace if you lose one.

14. Dave King

Got a box of 200 :)

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Dave: Can you give us a URL/part number so that other forum members know where to get them, please?

Thanks
    Andy.

16. Dave King

17. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Dave maybe I am misreading. Did you buy some of the CCW prop shafts? So you have a set pf CW and CCW prop shafts? The current prop shafts use a nyloc that you screw on in a clockwise rotation. The reverse shafts would need nyloc nuts that screw on CCW.

I was suggesting that if you get the reverse nuts for the CCW prop shafts. The nuts you cite are the standard nuts, not the reverse, correct?

18. Dave King

No I got standard CW shafts and use the nyloc nuts. I just wanted to explain what Quadrocopter said about using reverse prop shafts so that you didn't need to use nyloc nuts anymore. Kyle told me that on the stock setup with all CW prop shafts you really only need the lock nuts for the CCW props. Personally I like the idea of having lock nuts for every prop regardless so I decided to buy CW shafts only when I need to replace them.