/dist/images/branding/favicon

Monitoring Battery charge.

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Cesar Fernandez, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Cesar Fernandez

What is the best way to keep track of the remaining battery voltage while in fly? I know one can check the voltage from the transmitter but I found myself distracted during fly and forgot to check the remaining juice. Lucky so far... I have landed close to 3.2, but I could see myself forgetting to check the voltage while flying and photographing an interesting subject. Can you set an alarm in the transmitter?
    Wondering how others do it.
    Thanks for any advice.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Cesar if you are using the Futaba 14 TX then you can set alarms in the the TX. And also voice alerts.

3. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

If watching the transmitter is distracting for you there are a couple other things you can do that are helpful. Are you using the OSD from the ALTA? It shows battery voltage. Also, you can set a timer on your transmitter as a general warning if you know approximately the flight time you get with your set up. Set a warning that gives you adequate time to return to the ground plus some cushion. I use a combination of time and battery voltage when I fly.

4. Cesar Fernandez

Thanks for your advice. I will see if I can figure out how to set the alarm on my Futaba transmitter, otherwise will try the timer trick as Michael suggest. I am wondering if setting up the timer is explained in the Futaba Manual?

5. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

You should find that in the manual quite easily. Timers are used a lot in most transmitters and they can generally be set to start when you move the throttle stick up so that you do not have to think about starting it before you fly.

Also, the OSD is another very quick and easy thing to see - I'd use that too.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Cesar: If you want to turn on the voice announcement of the flight battery voltage, check these threads:

Message #47 and #56 here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/any-new-alta-owners-out-there.6838/page-3
    http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/futaba-14-sg-alta-mapping.7211/

The advantage of using voice is that you don't have to look down -- however, you will need either to use ear-buds or a small portable speaker plugged into the Futuba's earphone socket underneath.

Andy