/dist/images/branding/favicon

Futaba 14 SG Alta Mapping

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Jose Luis Ocejo, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Hi to every one I wanted to ask, what are some of you choosing for the assignment of the switches, for maping the Futaba 14SG radio I know there is a Freefly file to do this is, I asume this file is PC, I am on mac so probably Il have to map my radio manually
    specifically the following switches:
    Mode
    Home Switch
    Disarm Safety
    Velocity Clamp
    Climb rate Clamp

any info would be great
    Thanks
    Alta maping .jpg
    the above chart is from Freefly Alta manual
    futaba 14sg.jpg
    the above chart is from Futaba 14SG manual

2. Zac Eskelsen

Zac Eskelsen New Member

I've put together a little video how to map and customize the futaba radio. which also shows how I prefer to set up the radio. I'll try to get it posted soon.

Kurt Naeslund likes this.
  3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Standard layout

Screen Shot 2015-11-01 at 5.23.59 PM.png

Kurt Naeslund likes this.
  4. Jose Luis Ocejo

Thanks Gary thats exactly what I was looking for I am using a Futaba 14SG that I use with other 2 DJI copters I made very nice reminder labels for the different switches, that I attach to the face of the radio, but using and maping the same radio for Alta use, I am realizing that that could be a potencial for confucion since the ideal Alta switch order like the one you send me will not match my DJI labels hmmm looks like new radio coming up, or new labels
    thanks this helps me a lot

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The real problem is that Futaba requires the use of a Windows-only based proprietary (and oddly designed) "Futaba File System" program called ffs.exe -- you need to use this to copy the ALTA 14SG file from a PC to an SD card and then insert that SD card into the Futaba 14SG Tx itself.

So you're correct, Jose -- if you're Mac only (and don't run Bootcamp, VMWare Fusion, Parallels, SoftBox, etc. to allow you access to Windows), then the only way is to manually configure the Model file on the Futaba. Be sure to copy a backup to an SD card in the transmitter, though.

Andy.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oh...and you're also correct that it creates "interesting" situations when you fly both an ALTA and a DJI copter. Bit like getting into a car and discovering that the accelerator is on the left. :eek:

Andy

7. Zac Eskelsen

Zac Eskelsen New Member

Here is a quick video I put together on how to customize the channels on the futaba T14SG

Jayar and Kurt Naeslund like this.
  8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for doing that video Zac. I must confess I think I might move the Disarm Safety Switch on to SH (the momentary contact switch).
    The real problem is, in the heat of the moment, to remember what the switch settings are for a given transmitter.

Andy.

9. Jose Luis Ocejo

Zac and Andy if the Disarm Safety switch is map to the 2 position momentary switch SH in case you need to disarm you have to hold the button down all the time right? if you let go it will arm again, is this right?

10. Zac Eskelsen

Zac Eskelsen New Member

It depends on if you have the channel reversed or not. You would want it set up so that only when you're holding the switch you can disarm the Alta. and when the switch is released it is impossible to disarm the Alta.
    When its set up like this, once you land make sure you in manual mode and then hold the SH switch, and then execute the disarm maneuver (throttle stick to lower left corner).
    When arming the Alta for take off there isn't any need to hold the SH switch, simply execute the arm menuever (throttle stick to the lower left corner).

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

What Zac said! :)

Andy.

12. Jose Luis Ocejo

Hi Zac And Andy I flew my madden flight today and it went super Alta perform flawless I do like the disarm switch on the 2 position SH switch all my mapping went well Andy and Gary thanks for the help now to updating the Futaba firmware I am running 3.0 do you guys remember the forum link were updating the Futaba 14SG is discussed
    thanks

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

14. Jose Luis Ocejo

15. Jose Luis Ocejo

Hi Andy ok I successfully updated my 14Sg to version 5.0 and I successfully uploaded the sound update I use a Mac running bootcamp with windows, I follow the Futaba instructions to the letter now im trying to program the sound part the futaba instruction give you a lot of sound and vibration options Im trying to figure out the ones we need for the Alta but I don't hear Jeffs chick may be she is busy with Jeff any help there
    Thanks

Attached Files:

16. Jose Luis Ocejo

Ok got the sound working I follow Garys instructions I found on the other thread here it is for the sound
    thanks
    1. Power on the transmitter
    2. Click the Home button to go the telemetry screen
    3. Scroll to the second data section to RECEIVER and click
    4. Scroll to the sensor line, click and scroll/change to
    EXT-VOLT.
    5. Click the Home button and now you should Rx voltage in the top and
    Flight Battery Voltage in the bottom.
    That gets the voltage reporting turned on. To adjust and hear the 'voice'
    1. Double click the LNK button
    2. Scroll to Telemetry and select (RTN)
    3. Scroll to Ext and select (RTN)
    4. Scroll and set
    Alert - ACT
    Threshold - whatever I use 22.2 which corresponds to the same warning volts on Alta
    Vibes - Type 1 - 4 so it also vibrates
    Next page
    5. Speech - ACT and then unless you want it doing it over and over again assign a switch to it. I use SH which is the long momentary switch on the top bottom right side. Pick the switch and then highlight and click "ON/OFF". Select 'OFF'
    Home button to get out.
    Voltage drops below 22.2 it tells you. Use the SH switch it tells you. Other settings can set it up to repeat after xx seconds if you want it constantly reminding you.
    Let me know if this all works :)

Gary

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Sounds like you got it all working, Jose!

Andy

18. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Jose now all you need is a blue tarp for ground cover and you will officially be an Alta pilot....

19. Adam Orens

Adam Orens Member

What are you doing for failsafe on the Futaba? I am familiar with the process but I am not seeing the ALTA app moving the channels to the positions that I have prescribed when I turn the radio off. My fear is if we have LOS the app is showing the controls frozen in position ann NOT going neutral. o_O

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The ALTA app is, unless I'm mistaken, showing you what the transmitter is sending, not what the Synapse flight controller is doing (and the Synapse detects the loss of the link from the Tx to the Rx -- so if you turn the TX off, the app shows only the last values it got from the Tx.

Andy