/dist/images/branding/favicon

Follow Focus for the MOVI MR

Discussion in 'CineStar Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Katya Nelhams-Wright, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi there.
    I am getting ready for the MOVI MR and was wondering what follow focus system Tabb and the guys at FREEFLY are using at the moment and if Free Fly are going to do one themselves or which they would recommend and what modifications need to be done to it in order for it to work with a servo?
    Thanks
    Katya

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Katya not sure if this is where they got it but the components, Barco/FStop/Hayden can be see HERE

3. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Thanks Gary.
    Any idea of rod size and how best to mount that onto the gimbal, which system/manufacturer?
    Thanks again
    Katya

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

On the red I think they were using standard 15mm rods. Not sure of the brand. Maybe RedRock Micro? The rods were all mounted on the camera so that they moved with the gimbal. See Tabb's FB posting HERE

5. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Gary.
    Have they not wired the focus control into the receiver so it can be controlled on the radio or are they using the barco controller do you know?

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

The camera operator was not pulling focus. They had a focus puller who used the system I noted with a Bartech controller.

Talking with Hugh Bell, who was operating the camera, Jim Chen was in the roll of focus dude being the 1st camera operator (at least I think it was Jim). When you think of the multiple demands being the operator/focus puller might be possible in some situations but I would think that in most cases the camera op has a full time job controlling the camera with two hands. Not sure how the cam op would be also be able to focus on focusing at the same time.

7. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Gary.
    Thanks for your replies on the follow focus and link to Facebook pics. It looks like the red rock rails are mounted via the hot shoe on the 1DC. Is there any way of finding out whether the freefly team feel they is sturdy enough or for prolonged use would they recommend mounting the rails on the bottom via a plate. Also have they tried this system in the air do you know?
    Thanks again
    Katya

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Katya I don't know if it has been flown. Maybe Tabb will see this and be able to answer. If you think about it there probably isn't much need for follow focus with a 24mm lens on a RED. You likely won't be close enough to the subject to need anything other than infinity so wouldn't need all of the additional gear taking up valuable payload on the copter. For the Vincent video they did some really tight shots, like the cab interior, where focus pulling would have been required.

9. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Gary.
    We are not shooting on a 24mm prime and are doing a project right now where want to be able to pull foreground to background etc so would be great to know if it has been in the air or not.
    Thanks
    Katya

10. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Im fairly certain they haven't flown the 1DC with the Bartech. I noticed on Hennings video posted on Freeflys Facebook that he was pulling focus during some shots but that was shot with a 5D and Blackmagic.

11. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Thanks for that Brad, I will take a look and see. 5D would be good for now. Is it a weight issue with the FF and 1DC? I am not sure what the added weight would be with FF and rails.
    Kat

12. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

No, I don't see there being any issue except maybe the range on that follow focus system. The 1DCs are constantly being used to demo the MoVI M10s. It would be as easy as disconnecting at the down tube on the M10 and reattaching to the MR...

One thought would be to run a focus ring on the lens and hook that up to a servo then you can plug that into a Radian and pull focus from the camera op transmitter. That would solve any range issues.

13. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Brad. I just looked at the 100m lens test, brilliant:) Are they focus pulls or moves? Maybe the great man himself will let us know;)
    kat

14. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Interesting opening -- long descending shot without any hint of "dirty air wobble" -- but they were coming down vertically. Did the MoVI take out the wobble?

Andy

16. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Its 3 axis so it will be stable in anything except vertical translation. So as long as the vertical descent is a constant rate you will get smooth footage even if the roll and pitch axis is wobbling.

17. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Probably a combination of MōVI and whatever Henning is flying and the FC he is using.

18. Katya Nelhams-Wright

any more news on what the set up is? It would be lovely to have a bit more of an idea of the equipment used:)
    Katya

19. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Katya, are you running an full HD downlink? If not analog video just won't cut it...not impossible but tricky.

20. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Howard. Thanks for your post. Yes I have a teradek cube & bolt and have just pickup up my paralinx arrow on Friday, vey good. Also and using Marshall moitors and TV logic so think I have that cover! Thanks again.
    Katya