/dist/images/branding/favicon

Wiring a pilot FPV

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Josh Conley, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Josh Conley

Josh Conley New Member

I have searched around a bit but I am unable to find any wiring diagrams on FPV for a CS8 with MK electronics. I have already setup my downlink setup for the 3 axis gimbal using the mondo stinger. My question is where to pull power for the FPV for the pilot. I have a lawmate 1.2ghz system and ordered a MK OSD. Does anyone out there have examples of this? I want to fly further then my 20/30 vision allows. Thanks for the help in advance.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Josh which OSD did you purchase? If it's the SmartOSD then it can be very straight forward. I don't use the Lawmate so do you know if it passes through power to the camera like an Iftron? If so then Camera -> OSD -> Lawmate. Personally I like to power from a separate Zippy 3S 2500 for the video. I get a cleaner, less noisy signal that way rather than powering from the main batteries.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

That's a good idea, Gary. I was wondering whether to attach it to Boom #5 on the C8 to counterbalance the weight of the OSD/Navi/GPS and the FPV cameras on Boom #1.

Andy.

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I don't get that scientific. Stack on Boom 1 is pretty close to center axis. My iftron is about halfway out on Boom 5, but represents maybe 80g of total weight at most. So that's about 1% of total weight. As much as we would all like to have everything absolutely balanced I probably am always close, at least that's what MKTool shows me, but the batteries never go in exactly the same spot and the copter is moving, tilting, and all the rest. So I do the best I can and then fly the machine.

Only reason I put it on the back was it seemed logical. Most of the time we fly away from the base station. So that position just made sense to me keeping the antenna as visible as possible from the base. Beauregard in Steamboat mounts his antenna on a folding vertical mast.

5. Josh Conley

Josh Conley New Member

Thanks Gary,

I assume you put the 3S battery on battery tray. above or below your flight battery.

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Actually just to one side. I'll shoot a photo in the morning.