/dist/images/branding/favicon

LiPos becoming unbalanced

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Graham Futerfas, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi, I have a fleet of M15 4S LiPo batteries in my kit that are between 1 and 2 years old, and a few of them are starting to become unbalanced between the cells. The difference between greatest and least cell is about .15 volts, which I understand can be indicative of a problem.

Mostly I use these LiPos to power accessories such as my Bartech via a D-Tap to JST adapter. I charge them with a Tenergy TB6-B, and it has the ability to Balance charge at .1A, but it takes a long time and I have to turn off the 2-hour auto shut off. I've tried re-balancing and they seem to become unbalanced again.

Are they dying? Should I replace them? I don't notice any swelling on them. Any suggestions?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Graham, they are slowly going to the land of dead LiPo's. If they aren't swelling I'd keep using them with an eye on the delta's as you are doing. But they are on their way out the door, even with your gentle charging.

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  3. Graham Futerfas

Thanks Gary, that's what I figured. Your post makes it sound so sad, though. :(

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah....it is sad when LiPos start to show their age. The next stage will be when the charger cannot balance the cells.
    Just out of curiosity, Graham, roughly how many charge cycles do you have on the batteries?

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Graham Futerfas

Hi Andy, it's hard to say how many charge cycles. 30 or 40? Maybe more? Some of these batteries are from my original M15 purchase 2 years ago, and a few have been purchased more recently. In 2 years, 2 have died already from accidental over-discharge, and 2 or 3 now appear to have balance issues. I should write the acquisition dates on them.

I consider batteries to be expendables, like gels or clothespins, and fortunately they're not too expensive. Just curious if this is a common sign of aging.

When I first got into LiPo's, I was very careful about taking care of them, but now I worry less about how long they remain at full charge or storage charge or whatever. I have so many other things to think about, and with the Movi Pro, I'm not as reliant on these LiPo's except for accessories.

Aaron Marquette likes this.
  6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I hear you....we start out being a bit retentive with LiPo's and then realize they're probably going to do whatever they please over time!

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Graham Futerfas likes this.