/dist/images/branding/favicon

Heat protection

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Wolfgang Armin, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

hehehe 120Celcius? you must make tea on the sand my friend.I read the article and I thick scientist have nothing to do.:D
    If this is true then someone should tell those people in the Sahara desert to start wearing black. Cause where I come from and observed eveybody wore white.

bill

2. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

Way off-topic for this forum but...
    I know they like black fabric for tents in the hot areas to create a flue effect and keep a nice breeze in the tent. However, my experience in direct sunlight here in Florida is... "white is better". On a cloudy day I might understand the logic of the link but hey this is the sunshine state and black gets HOT no matter how thin the fabric is.
    ;-)

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Well black would absorb more energy from insolation than white, but it will also radiate infra-red back faster than white (hence "black body radiation.")

My only anecdotal evidence was this past summer measuring the temperature of a black car's surface and a white car's surface on a clear sunny day in Oregon. (Yes, Virginia, these days do happen...)

Black: 140F.
    White: 82F.

Small comfort to know that the black car would cool down quicker once the sun went down and insolation < radiation.
    See e.g. http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/content/latest-questions/question/3136/

Andy.

4. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Hey there,
    sorry for not getting back to you earlier, but I couldn´t access the forums from where I´ve been.
    First things first:
    I can´t really tell you how well it worked. Conditions weren´t good at all and so we had to use every minute for capturing instead of testing - the cap stayed on the copter for the time we´ve been there.

The good news: wind doesn´t seem to be a problem. We´ve been flying at more than 30km/h and it didn´t seem that the cap increased any problems.

Regarding black/white. I agree that some arabians wear black (mostly women), but others wear white so I´m not sure which is better for which conditions. But I can second Andys statement on cars. We have a black and a white car and the difference is so big that we´ll never gonna buy a black car again (the white is a first - we used to have all blacks because it simply looks better ;-))). Also from what I read they are starting to paint their roofs white in California - I guess they do it for a reason too.
    I have to admit though that a black Carbon plate would look way more stylish and professional.

Regarding the GPS: my front boom is the yellow one ;-). In the meantime I´ve changed the GPS to the yellow boom though.

Cheers,
    Wolfgang

5. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

IMG_1244.JPG
    So I made this out of a plastic plate just sprayed painted it silver to make it look pretty. what do u guys think?

Bo Tornvig likes this.
  6. Jason Smoker

7. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

How about white on the top to reflect the heat and black on the bottom to absorb the heat from the boards it would please all the theories wouldn't?

8. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Hi to all, today I tested several things among them the new ACC board, but what I want to mention here is the testing of Wolfgang idea the sun shield for the electronics so I ended using a very cool material that I think helps a lot due to its construction characteristics an the best is that it is an inexpensive in the US, Home Depot material, its call corrugated plastic sheet it is constructed similarly as a card box 2 layers of thin plastic sandwich vertical plastic ridges so its light and I think very thermally friendly due to the air in between, it is white to reflect light and heat, I will probably paint it black on the bottom this board got to help in keeping the electronics cooler, the other day I flew and at landing I pick up the copter from one of the booms and notice that the boom was quite warm from the sun, so this heat also has to affect the expose electronics so this shield at least will keep the electronics in the shade a few degrees cooler, also another thing to consider is the battery that is black the sun also has to add temperature to it so what another shield for this too? remember that Batteries don like added heat
    I know some of you say that all of this heat issues will go away once I get rid of the MK BL.Ctls and go with a more robust power distribution and more capable motors but in the mean time in hot weather I think this is a simple partial solution

Another advantage is if it starts to rain well you have a few more minutes to get the copter out of the rain

One side effect of the Sun Shade on the MR, it looks kind of Micky Mouse---ish, but who cares right..
    I may buy White CF decal haa
    IMG_2058.jpg

9. Jason Smoker

Hey Jose what was your bk temps before and after? Just wondering cheers?

10. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

BTW, that material is called Coroplast.