/dist/images/branding/favicon

DX5e with AR8000 and Radians

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Gustavo Rios, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Hi,
    I have the Spektrum DX5 radio with AR8000 rx (also Orange rx dsm2), for the moment I want use this, in the manuel I can see the wiring but does not appear in detail how to doing. Can anyone help me with this and the software configuration. I not want burn any servo or radian for wrong conection.

AR8000
    - AUX 3
    - AUX 2
    - AUX 1
    - GEAR
    - RUDD
    - ELEV
    - AILE
    - THRO
    - BND/DAT

ORANGE Rx DSM2
    - AUX 1
    - GEAR
    - RUDD
    - ELEV
    - AILE
    - THRO
    - BATT/BIND

For the power I have SWADJ 3 25W switching regulator.

thanks,

Gustavo

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Gustavo: The DX5 is a five channel radio. So I'm making a guess that it follows the convention for the first four channels (note: Spektrum unfortunately fail to publish which channels they use -- I've checked both the AR8000 manual and the DX5 manual.

I believe the usual convention is (other people, jump in and correct me if I'm wrong):
    Channel/Control
    1 / Thro(ttle)
    2 / Aile(ron)
    3 / Elev(ator)
    4 / Rudd(er)
    5 / Specific switch on transmitter (probably AUX1 on AR8000). On the DX5, you need to know whether you're operating it in Mode 1 or Mode 2. Then check page 3 of the DX5 manual where there are two images that show where the the Channel 5 switch is.

Now you know the channels, you can program up the Radian sensors the way that you want them.

I'll make an assumption -- that you'd like the following set up:
    Right hand stick backwards/forwards: Tilt.
    Right hand stick left/right: Yaw (Pan).

The right hand stick backwards and forwards normally controls the Elevator, so that means it's on channel 3.
    The right hand stick left/right normally controls the Ailerons, so that means it is on channel 2.
    The channel 5 switch controls, errr....channel 5. :) You can use it to control the Mode of the Radians. It looks like it's just a two position switch so off will mean that the Radians are disabled, and on, means stabilized with operator control of tilt and pan.

Freefly recommends that you do not have control over roll -- the system will keep the camera horizontal automagically. ;)

Now I would recommend that you watch Tabb's detailed video that tells you how to connect up the system.

I watched it twice!

As you watch it, I would recommend that you have the Pinout Diagram from the Radian documentation open in front of you so that you can be reminded of what the Radian connections are.

You will program up the Mode value for each Radian sensor to be 5 -- that's the channel which will switch the Radian's off or on.
    Program the Slew value for the Pan sensor to be 2 (that's channel 2, the right hand stick left/right).
    Program the Slew value for Tilt sensor to be 3 (that's channel 3, the right hand stick forwards and backwards).
    Program the Slew value for the Roll sensor to be off -- no channel is used to control it, it just does its thing by itself.

Hope this helps get you started.
    Andy.

3. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Thanks Andy, but I tried to set the configurate of the Pan according to the Tabb video but does not work, neither the switch on/ off, ... the wiring can be wrong? In the video Tabb have a same radio dx5e.

Gustavo.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Gustavo:
    Can you provide very specific details of what you have connected to what, please? I'm afraid it's impossible to guess what might be wrong without understanding how you have things connected up. Sorry. :)

Andy.

5. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Hi Andy, I have connected: in the PWM AILE to port 1 radian
    RUDD to port 2 radian
    in the radian port 4, servo PAN

with this wiring, stick rigth move Slew both side in screen but no move servo, with stick left move Mode in screen both side but servo move only one side.
    Only I try with one radian, PAN

Gustavo.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Gustavo:
    How many Radian sensors do you have and to which axes are they connected, please?
    More particularly do you have one connected to the roll axis of the gimbal, one one connected to the tilt axis? We can worry about the pan axis later -- it's easier to set up roll and tilt first.

Thanks
    Andy.

7. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Andy, I have 3 Radians and only one connected, I was trying to configure the pan

Thanks,

Gustavo

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

OK. The easiest to start with is the tilt. Firstly, can you confirm you have updated the firmware in all three Radian servos to the latest version of the firmware that was released this past week.

See the thread http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/radian-firmware-1-02-posted.215/

If you have updated the firmware, then connect the output from ELEV to Port 1 of the tilt Radian servo. Initially do not have anything else connected. Just Port 1.

Confirm that you have installed the FTDI Virtual Com Port drivers, please?

If you have, connect up the Radian USB cable/adapter to ports 5 and 6 of the tilt sensor, start up the Radian software (you may need to adjust the COM port to whatever COM port the Radian adapter is showing up on -- us the Windows Device manager to find that out) and confirm that you can "Read" the current settings from the sensor.

Then click on Tilt-1 to set the default values for the tilt servo and "Write" those values out to the servo just as a test.

if that works without showing any errors, then set to the gain to 100%, and set the Slew value to 3 (that's channel 3, the right hand stick backwards and forwards).

Write these new values to the servo.

Power off the gimbal.

Once you have done that, connect up the tilt servo to Port 4 of the tilt servo and power the gimbal back up.

Turn on your transmitter and you should now be able to move the right hand stick slowly forward and back and see the camera gimbal tilting back and forth.

Let me know how far you get.

Andy.

9. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

I can move the servo but spins too fast, I have SAVOX servos in the roll and tilt, and FF servo in the pan

Gustavo

10. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

You can lower the slew rate using the Radian software or turn down your travel adjustments for the ELEV stick on the DX8. Both these will help slow the rate down of the servo.

Josh

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Josh is correct, Gustavo.
    Do I understand correctly that you can move the servo using the right hand stick of the DX8, please? You have radio control of tilt? You can adjust the speed of motion etc, later. The first thing to do is just getting it to work. The second thing is to get it to work right.

If so, now you can connect up the Radian roll sensor. You will need to provide ground and +5v to it only. The roll servo is not usually controllable from the DX8 -- the Radian will keep it level. You can provide power from the AR8000 by plugging the servo cable into, say, AUX2 (which you're not going to use for control but is a convenient place to pick up ground and +5v) and connect that to Port 1 of the Radian roll servo.

Initially, do not plug in the roll servo until you have programmed the Radian sensor.

Then connect up the Radian cable and use the Radian servo to program up the Roll-1 defaults. Set the gain to 100%, and the Mode to 5. Slew can be set to zero (off) as you will not have radio control over the roll servo.

Once you've done that, power off the gimbal, and then plug in the roll servo to Port 4 on the Radian roll sensor. Power up the gimbal and you should see the gimbal "twitch" as the roll Radian sensor powers up, calibrates and then levels the Radian roll sensor (which should also have the effect of leveling the camera gimbal). Note that "level" is determined just by the angle of the Radian roll sensor -- nothing else. You may need to adjust the Angle Trim a degree or so to get the gimbal really level (use a spirit level on the transverse booms to be sure the gimbal is level). Remember to write the new values back out to the Radian roll servo! (I've forgotten in the past and then wondered why nothing changed!)

I'm not sure what country/time zone you're in, Gustavo, but it's 23:35 Pacific Time in Portland, Oregon, so I'm going to bed now. I'll check on how you're getting on first thing tomorrow.

Good luck.
    Andy.

12. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Thanks Andy and Josh, here is 1:40 am, talk later

Gustavo

13. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Hi Andy,
    I remind you that I not have the DX8, I have the DX5e, one AR8000 rx and a ORANGERX DSM2 of 6ch.
    Other thing, I see in the manual FF what the wiring for the PWM is double for the radians (page 19 of the manual).and...my AR8000 it stopped working I don't know for what, I'm with orangerx 6 channel and so far I have no problems

Thanks,

Gustavo

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Gustavo: Sorry about the typo for the DX5e.

The reasons why the PWM wiring is doubled are:
    1. With PWM, each Radian sensor must be connected directly with the Receiver. You cannot "daisy chain" them.
    2. You also see a separate direct wiring between the Receiver and the Radian servos for the Mode control. Again, you cannot daisy chain them.

Do I understand correctly that you have everything working now? If so, well done!
    Andy.

15. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Hi Andy,
    Last night it was too late and recently I'll try the Tilt now, I need the Pan too.
    I do not understand, my Orangerx DSM2 is a PWM? forgive my ignorance on the subject but if it is, I do not understand because they no have to be double wiring

Gustavo

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Gustavo:
    I'm not familiar with the Orange Rx. As far as I can tell is is a knock-off "clone" for the Spektrum AR6100.

I did do some Google searches for you and found documents that:
    1. Describe the channels used.
    2. A setup diagram.

However, I've not been able to find anything specific that confirms that the OrangeRx DSM2 is PWM -- but if you can plug a servo directly into a channel on the receiver and have it work, then I suspect it must be. Satellite receivers are, I suspect PPM (all channels combined).

Anyone else got any definitive data?

Andy.

17. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Ok Andy,
    I have the tilt and roll ready, just need the Pan and on / off switch. I follow the same procedure of wiring and use rudd channel ?
    Thanks,
    Gustavo

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yes, but remember:
    1. Have the Cinestar sitting on the table to allow the Radian sensors to initialize. Have the Mode switch set to "Off" otherwise the Pan servo will start to spin faster and faster (because it's actually trying to turn the gimbal -- but it can't!)

2. So suspend the Cinestar by the battery plate and then turn the Mode switch on so that the gimbal is stabilized and you have control over tilt and pan.

Now you can fine tune the tilt, roll and pan gains. You want the largest gain number without a servo oscillating (waggling) back and forth. In my case, for example, the pan servo gain is at 80%. Anything higher and the gimbal waggles back and forth.

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

19. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Andy, I can not configure the switch off / on, something I'll be doing it wrong

Gustavo

20. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor