/dist/images/branding/favicon

X8 Heavy Lift 4 Motors Out Test!

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Josh Lambeth, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Just as the title states, when we built our new HL X8 we wanted it to be powerful enough to fly on 4 motors if need be. The way the Herkules III boards are setup the top board runs all my top motors and the bottom runs all my bottom motors (I am using 2x Quadro XL boards).

Here is a video of it. This is at full flight payload with our Canon 1DC (33lbs AUW).

Josh

Howard Dapp likes this.
  2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Josh

I watched the video, am I correct that you have all 4 bottom motors out? It's a little hard to tell because the downforce from some of the top motors are making the props spin on the motors that are off.

If I am correct, I think the real test would be what would happen if one top motor goes out and one bottom motor goes out? Am I correct in assuming that would be a problem that the X8 might not be able to overcome?

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

So what motors and props are you using with MK boards, Josh?

Andy.

4. Josh Lambeth

Hey Dave,
    Yes it's hard to tell the bottoms are off because of the air from the top.

If I loose 2 on one arm then I would have an issue since there wouldn't be much lift there. I haven't tested this.

The way I have my power system wired it would be almost impossible for me to loose 2 motors on one arm. The only way that could happen is if I loose power to all 8 motors or get VERY VERY unlucky and somehow burn out both motors on the same arm on 2 different boards.

I am running 2 separate Herkules III Quadro XL boards. They are stacked inside the frame. The top board runs the top motors, the bottom runs the bottom motors. I have both batteries wired to both boards so if I loose one battery both boards are still supplied with power. The way the I2C cabling from the FC is run allows for the bottom motors to get shut-down first in the even the cabling comes undone but allows the top motors to continue to run. I am looking into seeing if I can run 2x I2C cables from the FC to each board. One using the molex connector and the other hard-wired.

Josh

5. Josh Lambeth

Andy,
    I am not using the MK BLs. I am using 2x Herkules III Quadro XL boards with KDE 5215-435kv motors and T-Motor 18x6.1CF Props.

Josh

6. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

josh this impressive. :)

I think you misread daves comment I think he meant 1 2 3 motors running top 4 not running (top motors)
    then say 5 6 8 running with no 7 not running (bottom motors). Have you tested this?

7. Josh Lambeth

So say top front left motor out and bottom front right motor out or any other combo like that? Not 2 motors on the same boom?

8. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

9. Josh Lambeth

I haven't tried that yet... I don't think it would matter though.

If i can figure out how to get the copter to take off with a motor unplugged I will test it (for the above video I had to reprogram the FC to think it was a Quad and then disconnect the I2C cable to the lower herkules board).

Josh

Dave King likes this.
  10. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Josh, you mentioned you're using 5215 430kv motors...5215 are produced in either 435kv and 330kv. Just want to clarify the right version - 435kv or 330kv? Thanks.

Any issues with the motor bell becoming loose on the shaft causing it to ride up the shaft a few millimeters?

@Dave, how are your KDEs holding up? Any motor bell to shaft up/down play?

Thanks

11. Josh Lambeth

Hi Howard,
    It's the 435kv version. Sorry for the typo.

I have a few motors that have a touch of play in them but you can adjust that with the lock collar. It is adjustable unlike most other motors.

Josh