/dist/images/branding/favicon

UAV and Liability insurance coverage available!!

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Justin Marx, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Just though I'd share my long search for the only company I have found that will insure both my Cinestar while in flight and a million in liability..

THE Company:
    http://www.transportrisk.com
    Transport Risk Management, Inc.
    PO Box 899
    Pine, CO 80470
    Phone: 720.208.0844
    Fax: 720.208.0845

I paid $1200 for $1million liability
    Around $650 plus 10% deductible for total loss of cinestar.
    Both are year long policy's

I insure all my other gear through www.athosinsurance.com
    It's all covered in the air, but they won't insure the copter.

2. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

Justin,
    With TRANSPORTRISK, didn't you have to sign your name below this disclaimer:

COVERAGE WILL NOT APPLY TO LOSSES ASSOCIATED WITH UNLAWFUL USES AND OPERATIONS.

With the FAA legality issue, I would not assume any claim would ever be paid. Also, the flight coverage quote they gave me just two days ago from two different policies was well over $5,000 just for the copter. And others on this forum have posted the same. Are you sure you are getting FLIGHT loss coverage for $650?

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Bryan, did your quote cover the copter and camera gear, or just the copter? The camera insurance I have specifically excludes aerial work, so I’d have to cover the flying cameras separately for their journeys.

And I, like you, am very pessimistic about the underwriters’ willingness to pay a claim for commercial activity done without a COA. I still have not heard any documentable instance of a liability or property claim being paid for a commercial operator. Until I do, I’m not interested in wasting thousands of dollars on insurance just for the satisfaction of saying “I have insurance”.

4. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Justin

Just FYI: Transport risk is a broker and not an actual insurance company or under-writer. Search for the threads on the subject.

5. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

Steve, My quote was $1200 for just the liability, and a separate $5k for hull insurance.

6. Steve Maller

Whoa. :eek: $5,000 per year to insure your copter? Have you talked to Lloyd's of London? Even they might do it for less than that. Unless I was renting my copter to somebody else (like those clowns in Italy from a couple weeks ago who crashed that Black Armored Drone), I'd never pay that much to insure the copter. I could buy all the parts to replace mine for about that much.

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Apples to oranges maybe? $5K hull covers what? Just the copter or copter&camera gear? Justin started out this thread with $650 with a 10% deductible for the copter. Something doesn't compute....

8. Dave King

Last year I was quoted $995 for liability only for $1,000,000 CSL. They gave me 4 options for hull insurnance with liability.
    $1932 to insure the then value of $12,200 with $1,000,000 liability
    $2982 to insure hull at same value with $2,250,000 liability
    $3732 to insure hull at same value with $3,000,000 liability
    $4982 to insure hull at same value with $4,200,000 liability

If I was to get hull insurance now I would have to insure a higher value for the hull with the red so the prices would be higher than the quotes above.

9. Steve Maller

Can you confirm that the “hull” insurance covers all gear in the air, including all the camera equipment?

10. Dave King

Steve when I looked into this last summer it included everything attached to the copter. I also remember that carrying RED cameras wasn't encouraged but I don't know what that meant at the time as I didn't have one.

11. Steve Maller

Of course you shouldn’t fly with a RED. I suspect that your insurance agent would discourage you from flying altogether once you pay their premium.