/dist/images/branding/favicon

To Xoar or not to Xoar ...

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Sebastian Meredith, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Sebastian Meredith

Sebastian Meredith Active Member

That is the question ...

We're running a CS8 with QC motors and standard MK electronics, a CS 3 axis gimbal holding a Canon 7D as our main camera.
    Our props are the QC supplied APC 14x4.7 Slo-Flyers.

Would changing to a set of wooden Xoar's make a difference? I've noticed a lot of folk mentioning them on the forum.
    What would that difference be? Lift? Handling? Etc.
    What size would be best? PJP-N 17x7 ? suggestions?
    Will I be wasting money making the change? Should we be looking at another make ... Graupner's?

If the the consensus is to change ... where is the best place to purchase online?

Much appreciated in advance for your feedback!

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Sebastian you are probably in a pretty solid spot with the APC's for the setup that you have. You wouldn't be able to go to 17" props unless you changeout all of the booms to something like the 550mm booms. But if you were to do that you would probably also need larger motors.

Best way to sort of test all of this is to use eCalc at www.ecalc.ch. It will give you a good idea of how different combinations of props and motors will affect the performance of your setup.

As to vendors, since you are in South Africa I would try the same vendor where you got your CS. Or try the guys at Kopterworx since they seem to always have a good selection of products in that part of the world.

Sebastian Meredith likes this.
  3. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

hey Sabastian,

I have a almost the same set-up with you but carry the mkIII and recently changed over to the xoars 14x5. I noticed 2-3 minutes extra flying times, smoother descends and a little more lifting power Happy with the result.

Sebastian Meredith likes this.
  4. Sebastian Meredith

Hi Gary ... Sorry that was a late night typo ... I meant to say 14x7 not 17" ! Those wouldn't massive!

Also, there is no local support for CS. We purchased most of our components from QC in the states. And some elements from Kopterworx. Thanks for the heads-up on e-calc. I'll check it out.

5. Sebastian Meredith

Hi Jason, that's what my initial gut feel was about making the change was the smoother descends, especially with the extra weight of the 7D. More lifting power and a little extra flying time would be a bonus as well!