/dist/images/branding/favicon

Spectrum satellite reception

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Jon Fredericks, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Jon Fredericks

Anyone running into reception issues that is running Spectrum satellite for the Radians? We'll lose signal and get a shutdown sometimes if we get out a few hundo feet. Wonder if a longer antennae has done the trick for anyone.

Cheers-

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I've not seen that -- I had the Spektrum satellite out on a landing gear leg with the antennae sticking vertically and just beyond the outermost edge of the landing gear.

Where do you have the satellite and the antennae?

Andy.

3. Jon Fredericks

Andy, its mounted on the left side of the main vertical gimbal post (of 2 axis). When we are flying generally nose-right orientation I have a feeling it gets blocked by the post and other equipment. We may try just wrapping a long attennae around the post and see if that does it.....or move the satellite beneath the gimbal.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, Jon. It does sound like the carbon fiber is attenuating the signal. If you've noticed that nose-right is the worst that's got to be telling us something. Can you rotate the satellite 90 degrees so those little antennae stick out horizontally -- then they might still "see" the transmitter? Or, as you say, mount it below the rear transverse boom so that it has good line of sight to the Tx on the ground.

Andy.

5. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

This sounds like a Futaba ad if I have ever seen one ;)

6. Arthur Vieira

Arthur Vieira Flight Squad

Jon,
    Are you running the system under DSM2 or DSMX? If not try switching to DSMX, also do you have a good BEC for the Radians? Is there a chance that the RX is not getting enough juice?
    I have a CS8 with a DX8 for the main system and I have flown, manually, as far as 600m (900ft) at 50m (150ft) high without a glitch on the radio. In my case the satellite is mounted on a boom horizontally.
    One thing that just occured to me. Check is the antennas wires are not broken, feel them. I had one that broke but looked like it was ok, only after I touched it I felt it was too soft.