/dist/images/branding/favicon

sony nex fs700 balancing issues

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Esteban de Llaca, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Esteban de Llaca

Esteban de Llaca New Member

Hello everyone!
    Really excited with my Movi!
    Now I am trying to balance my Sony Nex fs700 but it is really nose heavy and sliced it all the way to the back it's not enough. I am ussing a very small and light nikon prime. Total weight is 5 pounds.
    Am I doing something wrong. Do you have any tips to share with me?

Best

Esteban de Llaca

Daniel Velluet likes this.
  2. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Can you use a different hole on the plate so it gives you more room to slide back?

3. Esteban de Llaca

Thanks Justin! The tging is that I slide the camera all the way to the back and it tops with the back of Movi. I am thinking in adding some wait to the back of the camera.

4. Justin Marx

Esteban can you post a picture of your rig?

5. Esteban de Llaca

6. Esteban de Llaca

As you can see this is a very small nikon lens. I had to slide the camera all the way to the back but the back of the camera hits the movi.
    For now we are using the golden screw to help balancing but what to do if I want a bigger lens or add the follow focus?

7. Justin Marx

Hmm, you might want to drop Chris at freefly an email to see if they have any suggestions for that camera.

Also, are you sure your not mistaking "top heavy" for back heavy? Your camera seems awfully high on the rig. Make sure you watch the training videos again to get your rig balanced properly.I missed a few things the first 5 times I watched them..

I would say you need to lower it.

Also, if you take the camera off and CARFULLY over a soft surface like a bed-- put two fingers out and place them under the camera where you think it would stay balanced on your fingers, then keep adjusting back and forth to get it balanced. Now compare it to where your mouthing on the MoVI. Make sure your plate is mounted there.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I find that using a cylindrical pencil as a roller under the camera allows you to find the CofG very quickly -- and less painfully than using a finger (depending on the weight of the camera ;) )

Andy.

Ikbal Arafa and Justin Marx like this.
  9. Leon Mun

Leon Mun New Member

Hey Esteban,

Were you able to sort out the balancing issue? I was able to balance the FS100 just fine with a stock zoom lens, but damn, the 700 is so front heavy.

Justin, from my experience with the 100, the bottom rails do need to be lifted about that height to adjust for the low c of g on these cams. From the looks of it, the 700 will require the same attention.

Thanks,

Leon

10. Esteban de Llaca

Hello Leon
    Sorry for taking so long to answer. I cant balance fs700 yet.I just got a fiber carbon rods to change the side and upper rods for larger ones. Let you know.

11. Leon Mun

Leon Mun New Member

Hello Estaban, did you manage to sort this out with the new extended carbon fiber rods?

12. Esteban de Llaca

Hello Leon.
    I have not!
    left hand side (if you see your movi frontally) can´t be pull apart)
    I also tried adding weight so to counterbalance but then Movi doesn't work as nicely as I am used to.
    Staff at freely told me engineers are working in some develop to be able to mount larger cameras as the f55, and they will sell this option in the near future.
    Hope so...

13. Rowan Bestmann

Rowan Bestmann New Member

Yes pretty dissappointed with the amount of help from Freefly about this issue so far. Contacted them about this and they told me to go to the forum. Go to the forum and people say contact Freefly for a 'custom solution'.

Freefly - how can we fix this issue with the FS700 - with follow focus/cine lens rails MOVI balancing will not work.
    Freefly website should specify which cameras will/will not work with the M10 under 10kg as part of the specification.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

14. Hi Rowan...I apologize for the frustration. The FS700 is one of the longer cameras that fits in the MoVI. Given the placement of the 1/4-20 mount holes, the COG is in an odd location. Thus, there are a limited number of lens and accessory configurations that will work out of the box. There are customers that have balanced their rigs both out of the box and with some "creative ingenuity". We are working on a larger dimension camera modification kit that will help provide more lens and accessory configuration options, but at this time we don't have a launch date. If you could send in a photo (to the ticket you already have open with us) with the lens/accessory package you are trying to balance, we can have a look and potentially provide some suggestions but we can't guarantee that it will properly balance with every configuration.

15. Rowan Bestmann

Rowan Bestmann New Member

Denise,

I will send the photo with my ticket number for some suggestions. Looks like I will have to buy the larger dimension modification kit to use the M10 properly.

Good to know now - better to have known before.

Muchly appreciated for working the problem. Thanks

16. Justin Marx

Hi Rowan, would it help if you could get the 1/4-20 closer to the front of the camera to mount the MoVI plate? Maybe with a cheese plate? image.jpg

17. Justin Marx

http://woodencamera.com/Easy-Stick.html

That's what the above link is..

Good luck.. I know how frustrating it is.. There are just so many combinations for the MoVI its hard to know if everything will work..

18. Chris Herr

Chris Herr Member

I'm slated to fly a Phantom Miro next week, and have noticed it has similar dimensions and weight as the FS700, possibly more awkward to balance. I'm thinking of ordering a set of scientific weights, or something with very high density, and tapping 1/4 20 threads into them. I'll make sure to post the project if it ever ends up online.

19. Esteban de Llaca

Hello Justin and Rowan,
    I just don´t see how will these "easy stick cheese plate" could work. The problem is the short arm rods so you can´t slide all the way back the fs700.
    It seems to me that with these solution you will be able to have more room to slide the camera. But what the fs700 needs is to be able to slide it back. Actually I think these plate will add weight to the front.
    Maybe I am losing something here.
    Thoughts?

20. Esteban de Llaca

I remember there was a beautiful video in the freely Facebook page of a burning man runnig backwards.
    I don´t see that video no more but I remember they said it was shot with fs700 and canon 24mm cine lens.
    Maybe people at freely will help us finding these people and asking them how did they balance camera.