/dist/images/branding/favicon

recording High bitrate in Movi App like Filmic Pro app

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Azzie Scott, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

The problem, of course, is that if you want 24fps, 1/48 sec and a low ISO, there’s a point where you need to be able to control the light and/or be able to use neutral density filters.

That’s one of the reasons that I’m using the Movi with an RX0 and the camera’s filter adapter.

2. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

What we have in mind for exposure currently is adding a new setting to Settings>Camera>Exposure Mode. It would allow you to select "basic" or "ninja". "Basic" would be the current way, where you can lock exposure or unlock it from camera screen. "Ninja" exposure mode would lock the exposure, and display a new setting "shutter angle". When you change fps, shutter speed would automatically change based on defined shutter angle. Exposure would be always locked (iOS camera doesn't let you do continuous auto exposure if any exposure parameter is locked), and the exposure adjustment slider would be adjusting ISO.

3. Simon Hughes

Simon Hughes Member

From your experience, what strength of ND filter do you find most common for achieving the 1/48th shutter? I'm picking up a Movi next week and I need to buy NDs... Moment (whose lenses I use) sell the Hoya 3-stop and 6-stop NDs. If one will suffice, which would you suggest?

I have 3-stop, 6-stop and 9-stop in the small Cokin square filters but it seems like more weight than a single filter.

4. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Hi Simon,

In the second of the Freefly 6-part Movi Live videos, Freefly suggests that the Movi can support close to 1kg. See 29:47 - 30:31 here:

That sounds like a lot, but that’s what the video says. At the least, this suggests that you may not have a problem using the Conkins.

I am using 30.5mm B+W filters on the Sony RX0, which is the camera that I now use most with the Movi. I am not having a balance problem, including when I use two filters stacked. There is a discussion about this here: https://forum.freeflysystems.com/in...-a-sony-rx0-with-the-movi-cinema-robot.12455/

This YouTube video covers my RX0 filter setup and the reasons for it. Parts of the video are applicable to choosing and using neutral density filters generally. On YouTube, there is an index to the video, which is quite detailed, in the description and in the first comment:

#24 Rorick Edge, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  5. Simon Hughes

Simon Hughes Member

Rorick, thanks for your reply, I'll definitely try out my existing filter setup first. Can't wait to get it all up and running! I'm more of a stills shooter, but have dabbled in video. You can see my work on IG: https://www.instagram.com/simonclivehughes/

Cheers!

Rorick Edge likes this.