/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian Issue

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Nelson Oliveira, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Nelson Oliveira

Nelson Oliveira New Member

Hello Gentlemen,

Yesterday I was trying to fly over a soccer stadium and when I reached the same altitude 3 times, my 360 gimbal goes crazy as you can see on the video and it looses control and it does not respond to any command.
    I am assuming is 2.4 interference as I am using the spectrum satellite. Luckily I did not loose control of the CS8!
    (the footage looks shaky going up and I am assuming is because I had the gains setup way down for the FS700 and I had to use the NEX5 for this shot and did not increase the gains)

Any comments? Did that ever happend to you? Is there a fix for that? The client insist on the shot and I need to figure out a solution to reschedule the shoot.

Thanks,

2. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

I am nervous for you just watching it.
    Can you get your hands on a diversity board and another satellite to make a quick fix?

Joe

3. Nelson Oliveira

I dont have a diversity board and another satellite but if that is the solution for sure I buying it today!!! I am probably buying 2!! one for the gimbal and one for the CS8

4. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

I assume from your remark that you are using Spektrum for both CS8 and the gimbal. For the CS8 the diversity is just good "insurance" against all of your money flying away or finding its way to the ground in any number of terrible ways. In other words - absolutely necessary.

I cannot know if the diversity board will solve your problem but if losing contact with your gimbal transmitter is the issue it may save the day. Also, although somewhat academic, be sure your transmitter antenna are pointing up (vertical) , not just straight out of the transmitter (which would be almost horizontal ) - this will improve reception distance.

Hope it helps

Joe

5. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

Have you updated to the latest firmware? I had a uncontrollable gimbal roll problem. All was fixed with the update.

jim

6. Nelson Oliveira

Joe,
    I am using Spektrum for the 360 Gimbal and GR-24 for the CS8
    I really dont thing it was a range problem as I was flying sort of low altitude. I believe is more likely to be an strong interference or something else.

7. Nelson Oliveira

Hello Jim, I've never done firmware upgrade on those units since I bought. I'll do it now.
    But I also dont think that was the problem since I flew all day and it worked fine until I shot this particular location that probably has tons of of wireless transmitters.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Nelson:
    What are those vertical objects lining the stadium (see the image below with the arrows). They look very much like antennae to me -- if so, can you find out how to turn the transmitters off -- the RF field will be pretty intense as you approach and fly between them.

Hope this helps.
    Andy
    Stadium with antennae.png

9. Nelson Oliveira

Andy,

You are probably right! But I have no power to turn them off.
    Question: Is there anything I can do to fly over there with those antennas on? A diversity board with 3 satellite will help at all?
    Is there a chance to loose control of the CS8 with my MX-20 and GR-24?

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Nelson:
    I would indeed be concerned about those antennae. Is there a way you could find out what they're for? If it's to provide Wifi to the stadium then they may well be radiating at 2.4Ghz -- the same band as the RC controller, so yes, there is a risk that they will swamp the signals from the MX-20.

But, first questions first: are they really antennae? Can you see whether they're mounted on isolators at the base and there is a cable feeding them? They may just be flagpoles -- but if they're isolated and there's a cable, then they're antennae so watch out!

Andy.

11. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

Hi Nelson, as I can see you are from Sao Paulo, please dont fly there without authorization. We are doing a filming authorized by Prefeitura of Sao Paulo of soccer and Olympics. That took us 4 months of negotiation prooving them that it was safe and controlled. this may have bad consequences.
    People please do get authorization before you do fly in public places. And if private the consense of the owner.
    Those are lighting poles, but they do have 2.4 antenas in Pacaembu stadio, that were disable when we did some shoting there. the aerea is close by two main celular repeater and they will never be disable.
    When flying in Sao Paulo city you must check with a radio scanner for frequency before you do your flight. Thats why most of our flignts in SP we dont do with 2.4
    If you do have the authorization, please contac me in private, we do have the solution to fly there.

12. Pavlos Antoniou

What radio scanner do you use?

Thx

13. Guilherme Barbosa

Gy561 should do the trick for powerfull rf interference, ideally the Spectrum Analyzer SPECTRAN HF-2025E V3 shoud be usef
    , but if you have doubts just change your frequency. We also fly a dummy, small quad with lots of foam and a good fail safe ....

14. Pavlos Antoniou

i
    I dont have problems but it will be nice to have a Scanner like the GY561... FOr this that we want to do is there a need for the Spectran???

15. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Hey I heard a beeping sound around the 25secs mark what was that??

16. Guilherme Barbosa

The Gy561 works ok for high RF interference. But when you have "rivers" like directional Rf it won´t catch.. That´s we always use a dummy before the big bird takes off

17. Nelson Oliveira

Guilherme,
    You are absolutely correct!
    I'll be contacting you to in private to go forward on the authorizations and safety procedures

18. Pavlos Antoniou

Barbosa with the GY561 what you see exactly?? you see only a number or you see a diagram???

19. Guilherme Barbosa

You see the frequency and a graph with bars showing the intensity of the signal,
    But if do need to use the scaner it is already a reason for you not to fly with 2,4 and choose another frequency in our city downtown is nothing but trouble,

20. Pavlos Antoniou

I want to use a scanner everytime before i fly..!!!..

I dont have another system now.. what frequency do you fly your copters?