/dist/images/branding/favicon

propeller size and battery for my octocopter

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Johannes Jonsson, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Johannes Jonsson

Johannes Jonsson New Member

Hi There.
    This is my first post here and i hope i am at the right place.
    I need advice on what to do.
    I am upgrading my 11000mm octocopter x8 and just got new T-motor U5 motors, T-motor 14x4,8 cf props and T-motor flame 80A escĀ“s.
    I will be using 8s batteries to power it.
    I have been thinking about and trying to decide if i should get bigger props like Tmotor 15x5 or 16x5,4 props and 6s batteries.
    Do i gain anything if i do this?
    I know I will lose some payload but will i get more stable copter or should i just use those 14x4,8 with 8s?
    I hope someone can help me. This decision is killing me! :)
    My best
    Johannes

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Johannes:
    This is a Freefly Systems support forum and it's not clear whether you have any Freefly components.
    That said, you might want to check out ecalc.ch -- there's a good calculator there that would answer all your questions.

Andy.

3. Johannes Jonsson

Hi there Andy.
    Thank you for your replay. I am sorry I am new to the RC world, have only been in this for few months and I did nor realized this Freefly were A system. But now I know.
    Thank you.
    Johannes

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Johannes: Not a problem -- you're more than welcome to be a member of this forum, but I was concerned that you might need to get answers to questions that might best be found on rcgroups.com, diydrones.com, or multirotorforums.com -- to name just a few of the other on-line fora for multirotor copters.

Andy.

Johannes Jonsson likes this.
  5. Johannes Jonsson

Thank you again Andy.
    I went to those groups and got good help there and made the decision on stay with the 14" and 8s setup.
    I for sure like to stay in this group for there are lots of really good discussion and knowledge in here.
    Johannes

6. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

What flight control system are you planning to use? That has a lot to do with your other choices. Most people here are using 4S for 6S. Not many have gone to 8S or bigger. And you did not indicate what your payload is, either. Or your AUW.

7. Johannes Jonsson

Hi there Steve.
    The flight controller is naza m-v2 that I have been using on it. The whole up weight is from 7 to 13kg depending on camera, gimbal and battery size. I am really only upgrading motor, ESC, propeller and going to 8s. That is all, and I have made the decision on stay with the 14" and 8s setup that gives me the thrust i need. even if tho copter is at 12kg i still have about 5 kg extra payload to add which is nice thought i always like to have twice the payload that I need for safety.
    Johannes

8. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I use a NAZA-M V2 on my quad but I wouldn't recommend it on an octo.

9. Johannes Jonsson

Thank you Steve
    Your right, DJI controllers A2 and Wookong-M are preferred for large octo. I have been using Naza m-v2 on this octo with no problem at all, very stable, all shots I have with this system are very smooth. But A2 will be my next upgrade, which will be soon, I hope. :)
    There are other controllers that are grate but at the moment my thinking is to stay with DJI, that decision is just based on my own experience because I have not tried many others and they are working for me. :)

10. Johannes Jonsson

Hi there.
    I finally got the time to finish the octo build and ended up doing some more changes then I planed.
    The octo is now 1300mm with 5 degree angle on motor arms and dji A2 FC.
    TM U5 and flame 80A are so grate with 8s batteries! So stable flight!
    Next plan is to go for TM U8 pro on a new build.
    I stayd with those 14" props and maybe will go for 15" foldable props sometime.

Regards
    Johannes droni (1 of 1).jpg