/dist/images/branding/favicon

Powering the Freefly HDMI Converter

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Michael Brown, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Michael Brown

Michael Brown New Member

Hey Guys,

I am trying to spread the power from the Freefly Movi battery to the Movi itself and my downlink wireless transmitter plus the Freefly HDMI converter. My plan is to make a cable to split off the battery into two female JST connectors to power the Movi rig and downlink wireless transmitter, which is both obviously compatible with the voltage! Though I need to pull 5 volts from somewhere for the Freefly HDMI converter. I had talked to Quadrocopter a couple of months ago and I remember them telling me I could pull it from one port on the back of the Movi rig itself that outputs 5V! Which would be perfect for my setup! I have the old 3 axis radian gimbal and I am powering the converter out of the tilt radian now, and I noticed that there is the exact same port on the bottom of the Movi rig, which I am guessing is meant for the converter from the old system. The only thing is that I have no idea what the polarity of that port is! I can't find any Port Configuration with pin outs anywhere online, so I was hoping if someone could possibly tell me which Port that would be and the polarity!

Thanks,
    Mike Brown

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

There are two issues, Michael:

1. I'm not sure that the MoVI can supply the required amount of +5v current to drive the HDMI converter. Hopefully someone at FF will read this posting and comment (otherwise open up a support ticket by emailing to support@freeflysystems.com). If the answer is no, it will not supply enough current, you have two choices:

a. Solder up an in-line DC/DC converter so that you can take the (nominally) 15 volts from the MōVI's LiPo and drop it down to 5volts. Here's a small, light-weight device that will do the trick: http://www.quadrocopter.com/DCDC-Converter-for-Flight-Controller-ME_p_59.html
    You will, of course, need to solder up the appropriate wiring harness, replete with shrinkwrap tubing to do this. I've done this on one Cinestar and it works fine.

b. Consider using a Kopterworks, self-powering HDMI converter: http://www.kopterworx.com/Kopterworx-NEWS/kopterworx-mini-hdmi-converter . Self-powering is a bit of a misnomer -- it takes its power from the HDMI connector to the camera. I have used one of these and it works well.

2. Regarding the pin-out, check the image in this thread: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/spare-channel-output.2417/ Message #17. You can see a Futaba-style JR connector. The black wire is ground, the red wire is +5v.

Sorry I can't answer the "can the MōVI source enough current" question. Please consider posting the answer here if you do find out the answer from FF.

Andy.

3. Michael Brown

Michael Brown New Member

Hey there,

I did find the answer luckily on my own! There is a port on the under side of the Movi rig that is the exact same 3 pin port as the old radians. And after hooking up a volt meter I found that it is outputting 5V. I went ahead and tested everything out and it is working beautifully with the Freefly HDMI converter! And I am powering my downlink wireless transmitter through a splice I made from the battery through the JST connector. For now that all the power I need to distribute until I get a remote follow focus. Thanks for all the advice and tips Andy!

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The only concern will be whether or not that FF HDMI Converter is sucking too much power out of the MōVI controller. I'll see if I can find out specifically how much current the MōVI can source and how much the FF HDMI converter needs.

Andy.