/dist/images/branding/favicon

Motors

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Ryan Hawley, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Ryan Hawley

Ryan Hawley Member

Hi all,

While working with the Movi over the past few weeks have been a dream, it's been great to see subtle improvement on my part with regards to better balancing, and set up which is great.

A thought occurred to me yesterday though while setting up, and again - it's probably an obvious question - but one I want to find out anyway:

How much wear & tear can the 3 motors in the Movi take? i.e. it's constantly reiterated how important it is to get a good balance from the get go, and with good balance the motors won't vibrate or have to work as hard to steady the camera. Although, during some shots it's going to happen so, how long (years I'm hoping) can those motors typically last?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Good question, Ryan, but not one I know the answer to based on hard science and experimentation with these motors.
    As I understand it, the issue of balancing properly is more for performance reasons than babying the motors.

Given that they are good quality brushless motors (which I understand them to be), my guess would be years of useful life -- the only issue really being the bearings in the motors. The magnets on the rotor are not likely to de-magnetize as they are neodymium magnets, and the coils in the motor are not likely to burn out as the controller self-protects the motors if they draw too much current.

I'll let others chime in, but you might need to email to support@freeflysystems.com for more information.

Andy.

3. Ryan Hawley

Ryan Hawley Member

Andy,

Thanks for the response - that helps for sure. I understand for sure that you can't say based on direct "hard science," but I believe an educated opinion (which I felt yours is) counts - so thank you for that. :)

Ryan

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Just like in the animal kingdom, where most animals perish at the hands of a predator, or because of disease or starvation, as opposed to expiring of old age, your MōVI faces countless risks to its survival from many quarters (especially if you fly like me :eek:), and old age should be the least of your concerns. :)

Chris Fox likes this.
  5. Ryan Hawley

Ryan Hawley Member

:D That's a great analogy Steve, definitely made me laugh. Great point though, far greater risks I'm sure in "off-road" use that just old age.

This question is borne out of my insatiable OC with shiny new toys. :)

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, my "imaginary horrible" is the "Center-punch the Earth with a MoVI" ploy. I wouldn't be the first to do it -- but that's small comfort.

Andy.