/dist/images/branding/favicon

Most accurate altimeter + OSD combination??

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Jason Smoker, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Looks like a good starting point for an accurate altimeter. Weighs 225 grams, so not super heavy. Only takes 200 mA, so that's good.
    You'd need to develop an interface for it -- so some assembly required -- actually probably some C programming required too.
    Not sure I know enough to be able to integrate it into the MK Boards so you could correlate altitude with the rest of the flight data.

But very interesting nevertheless.

Andy.

3. Jason Smoker

Would not have to be integrate Mk boards just any interface/osd would be fine i think. I could not see and interface software on the website and i am not that computer literate to program it. :(

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

It looks like it offers USB, SPI, and an Arduino interface -- so there are several options, but all would seem to require some electronic design to integrate the sensor into the copter's data system.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's feasible, but I, like you, don't have the skillset to make it happen.

Andy.

5. Jason Smoker

I sent them a email just out of interest there response was

Communication to a UAV product can be made with a direct connection to the UART on the kit's Processor PCB. As shown in the picture below, remove the bridge wires on R1 and R2 and solder directly to the pads closest to the processor.

sounds all to hard for me! plus more dollars for them! hmm

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You'd also have to modify the firmware on the Flight Control board to read the data coming from the laser altimeter, but that source code is published on the web... not impossible, but time consuming.

Andy.

7. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

I would go with the laser range finder and a small camera recording the readout. That will be the only way to do it, IMO You could get an Arduino pro miny or a teensy 2.0 small type microcontroller with sonar altitude device and have it sent to you through an xbee to a small display. However the sonar is only good upto 9m aprox 26 feet over good solid flat terrain, it does not work well over grass or any ground with gradient. As for the most accurate baro device... There is no such thing. Atmospheric pressure gradients change very dynamically especially when you are talking about a foot or two. You can see this when you turn your copter on and monitor the altimeter display. In about 10 minutes or so it will be reporting an altitude very much different then when you started. FAA standards for primary altimeters on the ground are 40 feet when tuned to the airfield barometric pressure for IFR, and 75 feet for the secondary.

8. Chakradhar Raju

You need to look for Aerius Miniature Laser Rangefinder MLR 100 for all your altimeter requirements.....

9. Chakradhar Raju

For precise positioning RTK solution ....sub centimetre accuracy....