/dist/images/branding/favicon

M5 - Feeling motor humm on handlebar

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Kenny Hill, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Kenny Hill

Kenny Hill New Member

Hello,
    I just purchased a Movi M5 (refurb) from freefly store.
    Balnced camera no problem. Did auto tune and wrote settings to app.
    When i pick up the movi, i can feel and hear the motors working.

Is this normal ?

Thank you
    Kenny

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Yes, it's normal. You can manually reduce your motor stiffness in the app on whichever axis is humming, or you can also increase the Filter on those axes. That should help. AutoTune will get you close, but you always should check things with a manual tuning in the app as well. I've also seen AutoTune be wildly off on occasion, probably because something got bumped or jostled during the process.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Also, to add to what Graham wrote, remember to "tune it as you use it" -- so hold it the way you plan to use it when you're autotuning -- if you have it in the stand it has different resonant frequencies from those when you hold it.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

4. Kenny Hill

Kenny Hill New Member

Thank you for the help :)

That is one thing i found myself a bit confused on was, do i auto tune on stand(?), then tune to hand ? Or do i actually hold the movi while performing auto tune.
    I will do an auto tune holding the movi and see how that goes.

Thanks again :)

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

It may help to understand that autotune "waggles" the MoVI, sensing the resonant frequencies of the gimbal, and adjusting the stiffness values based on what it senses -- it's pretty subtle so you cannot really see or hear the waggling going on -- but obviously given what it's doing any changes to those resonant frequencies fool the autotune into getting it wrong.

Hope that helps
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. Kenny Hill

Kenny Hill New Member

Yes,
    its helps a lot ! :)

Thank you