/dist/images/branding/favicon

MōVI at Burton - Background from the DP

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Gary Haynes, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Corey Koniniec, the DP on the Burton shoot, had a series of posts over on Reduser.net that he has agreed to let me post here on the forum

General Information
    So far I have personally been on 4 completely different shoots with the MOVI and the boys at the office have been in the field for the last 3 months consistently shooting with the MOVI. The M10 has come a long ways since NAB. It is has gotten very easy to balance and set up and I am sure you will be blown away with what you can accomplish. I will try to answer questions as best as I can.

The weight is definitely a slight issue but not bad. Fully rigged out with an Epic, SideHandle, redvolts, MOvi, CP2 glass and monitors and Teradek w were running around 15lbs. The first shot was about 2.5 minutes long and was holding it 2 minutes of that with all the passoffs we did. Basically get yourself to a gym. Steadycam guys take care of themselves and being in slightly good shape you will be fine.

I actually just used the MOVI for some 15min interviews with the Easy Rig. Works amazing! If you aren't doing huge moves I would say an EASY Rig is an easy choice to have in your arsenal.

For Monitoring we had a Small HD DP 4 onboard for reference via HDMI. Then we used the Teradek Bolt to broadcast via SD-HDMI to our controller as well as an AC with a third monitor to pull Focus. My personal setup consists of an Atomos Blade on board for monitoring and the ability to capture Pro-Res. My monitor for the controller panel is a DP-7 Pro and my third and Fourth monitors for my AC and Director are also both AC-7 from Small HD with Teradek Bolt HD-SDI receivers

The initial setup for you shoot take roughly an hour to get all geared up and balanced. Once you have your M10 all configured on set the MOVI becomes basically hassle free. I usually just use a C-Stand to let the MOVI live in on when not in use.

I basically use the MOVI for as much as possible when I am looking for Movement. You could easily shoot an entire commercial or Movie on the MOVI if you want to. It really depends on the look you are going for. All I can say is don't let other influence you. Once you get this thing in your hands you will quickly realize its amazing range and potential. There is no doubt in mind it will change the way you approach shots and will save massive amounts of time on set or in the commercial world

I have not had a huge amount of time on Majestic mode but it is a powerful asset. I am heading to CHile in a few weeks to shoot a bunch of Skiing and Snowboarding with the MOVI. The few times I have used Majestic it has worked beautifully and you can make adjustments to how the MOVI reacts to your movements in Majestic mode via the FreeFly GUI.

The MOVI M10 is very robust. I mean you can't drop it off a building or anything but all in all I have had no problems with its reliability. Last week we were in New Mexico shooting BMX for Red Bull. We were running around all day in the Sand and Dirt, transporting it in cars, hanging out of Helicopters and using Razors to get high speed tracking. The M10 worked magically.

Comparing the MōVI to a classic setup
    Here is something to consider. Here are the numbers and facts

Most of the time it takes someone roughly an hour to lay dolly track, set up Jib, Prepare Steadicam or prep a camera. There is a one time setup that takes roughly an hour or so maybe less once you get good. We basically shot the entire indoor scene in just a few hours. Took us about 3 times to get good and about 10-12 tries to get perfectly orchestrated. There was only three of us operating including AC. We set a goal of 8 hours including prepping the riders. You have to remember these are pro snowboarders and not actors. We basically just shot off the hip and improved the shot as we went. All in all we ending up finishing 3 hours early and had time to catch a nice dinner with the crew.

MOvi prep 1 hours
    Lighting guys about 2.5 hours
    45 mins of walkthrough with the team and talent
    shot for about 3 hours.

We basically had no idea we were going to be able to make the indoor scene a single shot until we got our hands on the MOVI. I don't think there would have been another way to get this type of shot without days or weeks of prep. We basically just came up with these moves on the fly. Just wait till you try it for the first time. I am sure you can always find cons in every peice of equipment but the Pros of the MOVI heavily outweigh any constraints.

2. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

thx for the post and by the way I really liked the video. quite a jaw dropper.
    one question, the batteries and power consumption. How often were the battery changes, and how long does it take to install new batteries?

3. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

would be great to know what happens in that 1 hour prep time also.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member